To produce a quark from universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quarks, their combination and separation, and the creation of virtual quarks. It also touches on the properties of QCD and the SU(3) gauge symmetry. The question about matter and antimatter is clarified to refer to the color neutral combinations of quarks. The concept of color singlets and the representation of SU(3) are also explained. Overall, the conversation provides an overview of quark configurations and their properties.
Quarlep
Lets think we have a paticle system which consisting two quarks and they are combined.Then here I learned somehing strange.If we separate this two quarks the universe creates two quarks from universe so first we have 1 quark pairs now we have two. In this process virtual quarks (the matter ones) combined the quarks.Here comes my question Whats happened the other two virtual quarks (the antimatter ones).

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Not exactly the universe. They pop out from the vacuum as real particles (on-shell particles) because the available energy is enough.
I don't exactly understand the rest of the question, you had 1 pair of quarks, let's say [itex] q \bar{q}[/itex]
and you move them away (since latex doesn't help, allow me to write [itex]\bar{q}[/itex] as q*)
q---q*
q--------q*
q----[q* q]---q*
(qq*)+(qq*)

In [..] I put the popped up quarks... So what do you mean by matter or antimatter? In the first place you can't have a particle consisting of two quarks. The least are the mesons consisting of [itex] q \bar{q}[/itex] and then are the baryons consisted of [itex] q q q[/itex] In the case you try to move away a quark from a baryon, you'll most probably get a meson out.:
qqq
qq---q
qq------q
qq---[q q*]--q
(qqq) + (q*q)

This happens because of the properties of QCD... In electomagnetism, taking two charges away from each other, the energy density between them gets dispersed and so weakens...In QCD though the picture is different, and it looks like a string (no wonder string theory was first proposed to explain strong interactions). The energy density between q and q* gets concentrated around their distance (more correctly the potential becomes that of a string), and if it gets enough [qq*] can be created.

ChrisVer said:
I don't exactly understand the rest of the question
I am sorry about my english I am live in Turkey.
ChrisVer said:
So what do you mean by matter or antimatter?
I mean q and q* as that you have wrote it.
I understand that I didn't ask the question right point of view. Let me clear the question let's suppose we have qq than If we separate them then
q...q
q...(q*q)...q
I want to separate qq but I made a mistake which in universe there's no qq.
This is true isn't it there no qq in universe

Thanks

When you want to find allowed quark configurations you have to be able to make color singlets.
The fundamental representation of the [itex]SU(3)[/itex] gauge symmetry (the symmetry of QCD) is the [itex]\textbf{3}[/itex].
Now out of it, in order to make a singlet you have to use: [itex] \textbf{3} \otimes \textbf{3} \otimes \textbf{3}= \textbf{10} \oplus \textbf{8} \oplus \textbf{8} \oplus \textbf{1} [/itex] which contains a singlet [itex]\textbf{1}[/itex] (color neutral).
Having two quarks (3 colors each) can't give a neutral combination: [itex] \textbf{3} \otimes \textbf{3} = \textbf{6} \oplus \textbf{3} [/itex].

In addition to the fundamental representation [itex] \textbf{3} [/itex] of SU(3), you can also have the antifundamental repr, [itex]\bar{\textbf{3}}[/itex] which together gives you the adjoint representation and a singlet.
[itex] \textbf{3} \otimes \bar{\textbf{3}} = \textbf{8} \oplus \textbf{1} [/itex]
That's why a quark can be combined with an antiquark to give a color neutral combination.

To make this more illustrative, I will also add that the reason you say that the singlets [itex]\textbf{1}[/itex] are color neutral, is because they transform identically under an [itex]SU_{color}(3)[/itex] transformation (that's why they are neutral)

Related to To produce a quark from universe

1. How does a quark form in the universe?

A quark is one of the fundamental building blocks of matter in the universe. It is believed to form through a process called quark confinement, where quarks are bound together by the strong nuclear force. As the universe cooled after the Big Bang, the energy levels decreased, allowing quarks to combine and form particles such as protons and neutrons.

2. What are the properties of a quark?

Quarks have several properties, including mass, electric charge, and spin. They also have a property called "color charge," which is responsible for the strong nuclear force that binds them together. Quarks also have the ability to interact with other fundamental particles through the four fundamental forces: gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force, and strong nuclear force.

3. Can quarks be observed directly?

No, quarks cannot be observed directly due to a property called "color confinement." This means that quarks are always confined within larger particles and cannot exist in isolation. However, scientists can study the effects of quarks through experiments and observations of their interactions with other particles.

4. How many types of quarks are there?

There are six known types of quarks: up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom. These are often referred to as "flavors" of quarks. Each type has a different combination of properties, such as mass and electric charge.

5. Can quarks be created or destroyed?

Quarks cannot be created or destroyed, according to the Law of Conservation of Mass and Energy. They can only change forms or combine with other particles to form different types of matter. However, under extreme conditions, such as in particle accelerators or during the early stages of the universe, quarks can briefly exist in a free state before combining with other particles.