To help reduce the severity of accidents [Average net force]

In summary, the engineering company designed large plastic barrels filled with antifreeze that can be placed in front of bridge supports in order to reduce the severity of accidents. A car moving at 20 m/s [W] crashes into several barrels, slowing down to 8.0 m/s [W] in 0.40 s.
LionLieOn

Homework Statement

To help reduce the severity of accidents, an engineering company designs large plastic barrels filled with antifreeze that can be placed in front of bridge supports. In a simple test, a 1200 kg car moving at 20 m/s [W] crashes into several barrels. The car slows down to 8.0 m/s [W] in 0.40 s.

a) Find the average net force acting on the car during the collision.

I was comparing answers with a friend of mine and his final answer was 36000 N [W] and I got 36000 N [E]

I think I'm right, since 36000N [W] doesn't make any sense, the car would of had to be driving E for that to happen. Then again, I'm unsure so I would like to have a second opinion/correction.

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Check the attachment.

Attachments

• ANTIFREEZE.jpg
    ANTIFREEZE.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's 2nd law tells us that the force and the acceleration will be in the same direction.

andrevdh said:
Newton's 2nd law tells us that the force and the acceleration will be in the same direction.

Ahh! Ok I forgot about that thank you!

Other then the direction, is my work correct? Anything I should correct or look over?

No, you seem to be on the right track :)

Looking at the provided solution the velocities before and after were inserted as positive values because + was chosen W.
The fact that impulse came out negative tells us that it is in the opposite or easterly direction ,which is also the direction of the force, since the time interval is not involved in the direction since it is a scalar quantity.

andrevdh said:
Looking at the provided solution the velocities before and after were inserted as positive values because + was chosen W.
The fact that impulse came out negative tells us that it is in the opposite or easterly direction ,which is also the direction of the force, since the time interval is not involved in the direction since it is a scalar quantity.

So to correct my mistake in the attached file above, I should be putting 36000 N [W] instead of 36000 N [E] ?

No, the attached file is correct.
Fnet comes out negative so it is in the opposite direction of the chosen + west.

andrevdh said:
No, the attached file is correct.
Fnet comes out negative so it is in the opposite direction of the chosen + west.

Ahh ok!

Thank you so much for your help and for checking over my work. Much appreciated!

Related to To help reduce the severity of accidents [Average net force]

1. What is "average net force" and how does it relate to accidents?

"Average net force" refers to the sum of all the forces acting on an object, divided by the object's mass. In terms of accidents, this can be used to measure the impact or force involved in the accident and determine its severity.

2. How can we reduce the average net force in accidents?

There are several ways to reduce the average net force in accidents. One way is to improve road and vehicle safety measures, such as implementing speed limits, seat belt laws, and airbag systems. Additionally, educating drivers on defensive driving techniques and promoting safe driving habits can also help reduce the severity of accidents.

3. What role does the average net force play in determining injury severity in accidents?

The average net force is a crucial factor in determining injury severity in accidents. The higher the force, the greater the potential for serious injuries. This is because the force can cause significant damage to the body's tissues, bones, and organs, leading to injuries such as broken bones, internal bleeding, and traumatic brain injuries.

4. Are there any technologies or innovations being developed to help reduce the average net force in accidents?

Yes, there are several technologies and innovations being developed to help reduce the average net force in accidents. For example, advanced braking systems, like anti-lock brakes, can help prevent sudden stops and reduce the force of impact. Additionally, there are ongoing research and development into new safety features, such as pedestrian detection systems, that can help reduce the severity of accidents.

5. How can understanding the average net force benefit accident prevention efforts?

Understanding the average net force is crucial for accident prevention efforts as it allows for a better understanding of the forces involved in accidents and their potential consequences. This information can then be used to develop and improve safety measures and regulations to reduce the severity of accidents and ultimately prevent them from occurring in the first place.