Tire inflation to determine weight

In summary, the conversation was about determining the weight of an automobile based on the tire inflation and area of contact with the ground. The problem was solved by using the equation Pfluid = F/A and it was determined that the weight of the car was 17538N. The initial incorrect answer of 447 N per tire was due to a mathematical error.
BooGTS
Tire inflation to determine weight - solved

The problem goes as follows: he four tires of an automobile are inflated to a gauge pressure of 1.85E+5 Pa. Each tire has an area of 0.0237 m2 in contact with the ground. Determine the weight of the automobile.

But I've applied the Pfluid = F/A and it doesn't seem to pan out. I come up with 447 N per tire, which is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your working. It's hard to see where you've gone wrong if you don't show your working.

Then you done the arithmetic wrong: 2 x 10^5 times 2x 10^(-2)= 4 x 10^3 or 4000, not 400.

I worked on this problem forever before posting and figured it out in this little window on this site of all places. I'm sure it won't be my last tonight though... thanks for the response.

1. 1.85 x10^5 N/m^2 = (x/.0237m^2)

2. 1.85 x10^5 N x .0237 = 4384.5 N = x

3. 4384.5 N x 4 = 17538N =x

BooGTS said:
4384.5 N x 4 = 17538N =x

Look's good to me :smile:

BooGTS said:
The problem goes as follows: he four tires of an automobile are inflated to a gauge pressure of 1.85E+5 Pa. Each tire has an area of 0.0237 m2 in contact with the ground. Determine the weight of the automobile.

But I've applied the Pfluid = F/A and it doesn't seem to pan out. I come up with 447 N per tire, which is wrong.

As Halls of Ivy said, that looks like a simple mathematical error.

Don't forget each tyre only bears a fraction of the weight of the car. So after getting the force exerted by each tyre on the ground, you need to do something else to find the weight of the car.

EDIT : Ah, OK, you've already posted it, that's correct. :smile:

Related to Tire inflation to determine weight

What is tire inflation?

Tire inflation is the process of adding air to a tire in order to reach the recommended air pressure specified by the tire manufacturer.

Why is tire inflation important?

Tire inflation is important because it affects the overall performance and safety of a vehicle. Properly inflated tires allow for optimal handling, fuel efficiency, and tire longevity. Underinflated or overinflated tires can lead to decreased performance, increased risk of accidents, and premature wear and tear.

How does tire inflation determine weight?

Tire inflation can be used as a rough estimate of the weight of a vehicle. When a tire is inflated to the recommended air pressure, it can support the weight of the vehicle and any additional cargo. By measuring the air pressure in a tire and using a conversion chart, the weight of the vehicle can be estimated.

What is the recommended tire pressure for my vehicle?

The recommended tire pressure for a vehicle can be found in the owner's manual or on a sticker located on the driver's side door jamb. It can also be found on the tire itself. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure for optimal performance and safety.

How often should I check tire pressure?

It is recommended to check tire pressure at least once a month, or before any long trips. Tire pressure can also be affected by changes in temperature, so it is important to check it more frequently during extreme weather conditions. It is also a good idea to visually inspect tires for any signs of damage or wear while checking the pressure.