Time taken for energy to transfer ?

In summary, the conversation discussed the development of a realtime physics engine based on energy concepts and the need for source material on energy transfer between particles. The time taken for energy to transfer is not instantaneous and varies based on the materials involved. The conversation also touched on the difficulty in finding information on this topic and the suggestion to use average energy transfer over time. The speed of sound in materials was also identified as a factor in energy propagation. The person seeking help expressed their gratitude and mentioned the possibility of releasing a demo of the model in the future.
SirSE
Hello all.

I'm currently looking at developing a realtime physics engine based on energy concepts. It will model all objects as soft-bodies but I need some source material that gives information on the time taken for energy to transfer between particles. I know that the transfer of this energy is not instantaneous, otherwise all bodies would be rigid (which they aren't), but, unfortunately, I cannot find any material that discusses such a concept.

If you look at a golf ball being hit by a driver during a very small time interval, it is clear that the kinetic energy is transferred across the material not instantaenously, but incrementally. Different materials transfer this energy faster, or slower. Are there any books or papers that look at this in more detail? All I can find are extremely abstract analysis. No equations are offered.

I appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
what you are talking about is material dependent. you won't find much online with regards to time based energy transfer. You could easily do average energy transfer over time, which would just be total energy divided by time in contact. There are extremely delicate tests that would need to be done. at different speeds, each material has a certain elasticity vs force kind of thing. and because you have two different materials colliding it would make it very very hard.

Well in that case I'll have to use fake results based on intuition and observation. Since I'm aiming for plausibility, rather than realism, this should suffice.

Aren't you talking, basically, about the speed of sound in the materials? That's how fast the forces / energy are propagated through the objects.

That's a very good observation.

I may experiment with that idea and see if the results are anything near realistic.

Edit: You are actually 100% correct with that. Many many thanks to you. Now I can finish the theory and start implementing it in code. If any of you are interested in viewing the model in realtime, I'll probably release a demo over the following months.

Related to Time taken for energy to transfer ?

1. How is the time taken for energy to transfer calculated?

The time taken for energy to transfer is calculated by dividing the distance between the energy source and recipient by the speed at which the energy is transferred.

2. What factors affect the time taken for energy to transfer?

The time taken for energy to transfer can be affected by factors such as the type of energy being transferred, the medium through which it is being transferred, and any obstacles or resistance in the transfer process.

3. Does the amount of energy being transferred affect the time taken?

Yes, the amount of energy being transferred can affect the time taken for it to transfer. Generally, larger amounts of energy will take longer to transfer compared to smaller amounts.

4. How does the time taken for energy to transfer impact efficiency?

The time taken for energy to transfer can impact efficiency by affecting how much energy is lost during the transfer process. Longer transfer times can result in more energy lost, leading to lower efficiency.

5. Can the time taken for energy to transfer be reduced?

Yes, the time taken for energy to transfer can be reduced by using more efficient transfer methods, minimizing obstacles or resistance, and choosing the most suitable medium for the transfer of energy.