Time Shown on Clock Face of Moving Observer: Raytracing in Relativistic Flight

• Thread starter m4r35n357
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clock Time
In summary, the twin paradox is resolved by applying the Lorentz transformation to events instead of calculating the light delay.
m4r35n357
I would appreciate it if some senior member would give me feedback about this result that I have been using in my raytracing simulations of relativistic flight, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvGnzGhIWTGR8QYYvMCweXPHtZPnsjrw8.

For simplicity I am assuming that the primed and unprimed coordinate origins concide, and that ##c = 1##.

Starting from the general Lorentz transform in 2+1 spacetime for an observer in the primed frame moving along the ##x## axis at velocity ##v## through a "scene" at rest in the unprimed frame:
$$
\left(\matrix{%
t' \cr
x' \cr
y'
}\right)
=
\left(\matrix{%
\gamma & -v\gamma & 0 \cr
-v\gamma & \gamma & 0 \cr
0 & 0 & 1
}\right)
\left(\matrix{%
t \cr
x \cr
y
}\right)
$$
Which can be used straightforwardly to derive the exresssions for aberration, doppler shift etc. The light travel delay from any point (##x, y##) in the unprimed frame to a stationary observer at the origin is given by the ##t## component, and to a moving observer is given by the ##t'## component. If we apply the light cone constraint (light delay is just the radial distance from the observer to a point,##R = \sqrt(x^2 + y^2)##, similarly for ##R'## in the primed frame) to this we have:
$$
\left(\matrix{%
R' \cr
R' \cos \alpha' \cr
R' \sin \alpha'
}\right)
=
\left(\matrix{%
\gamma & -v\gamma & 0 \cr
-v\gamma & \gamma & 0 \cr
0 & 0 & 1
}\right)
\left(\matrix{%
R \cr
R \cos \alpha \cr
R \sin \alpha
}\right)
=
\left(\matrix{%
\gamma R (1 - v \cos \alpha) \cr
\gamma R (\cos \alpha - v) \cr
R \sin \alpha
}\right)
$$
where ##\frac{y}{x} = \tan \alpha## and ##\frac{y'}{x'} = \tan \alpha'##, so that:
$$
R' = \gamma (1 - v \cos \alpha) R
$$
which gives the light travel delay in terms of quantities in the unprimed frame (this is simpler). Note that the ratio of ##R'## to ##R## is numerically identical to the doppler factor. The time ##T## seen on the clock face by the moving observer is then given by subtracting ##R'## from the coordinate time in the unprimed frame:
$$
T = t - \gamma (1 - v \cos \alpha) R = t - \frac{\sqrt(x^2 + y^2) (1 - v \cos \alpha)}{\sqrt(1 - v^2)}
$$
In words; the time on the clock face seen by the moving observer is the coordinate time in the rest frame, delayed in line with the transformed light cone in the observer's frame.

As I said, comments and corrections welcome!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not even wrong, huh?
OK I've spotted my mistake, which is to apply the light cone calculations to events. I am currently testing the real answer (which is much simpler) and will correct this post when I am happy with it.

Last edited:
Apologies fot the intial post, for the record this is how I am doing it now, and it seems to be correct, ie. it gives the right answers for the twin paradox.

"Home" is the stationary frame, "ship" is moving frame. Home clock is at ##(X, Y, Z)##. For each moving object, log all events ##(t, x, y, z)## against the corresponding proper time, ##\tau##.

Define:
##R = \sqrt((x - X)^2 + (y - Y)^2 + (z - Z)^2)##
##T_1 = t + R = ## Home time when ##\tau## is seen on the ship's clock.
##T_2 = t - R = ## Home time seen on ship's clock at ##\tau##

Log ##T_1, T_2## against the corresponding ##\tau## and event.

Plot ##T_2## aginst ##\tau##.
Plot ##\tau## aginst ##T_1##

Done! Plots attached for twin paradox @ ##v = 0.8c##, separation = 4 units, total time in rest frame = 10 units.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 220814 - 10:22:56.png
    Screenshot - 220814 - 10:22:56.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 392
  • Screenshot - 220814 - 10:23:21.png
    Screenshot - 220814 - 10:23:21.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
OK, just to wrap this up, here are some real clock times for a twin "paradox" run over 20 light years at an acceleration of (+-)0.103 (representing 0.1g).
And here is the video
Just for the hell of it I have added a clock at the "far/away" end for the Ship time graph.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 220814 - 15:20:08.png
    Screenshot - 220814 - 15:20:08.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 386
  • Screenshot - 220814 - 15:20:29.png
    Screenshot - 220814 - 15:20:29.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 378

Hello,

As a fellow scientist, I find your work on raytracing in relativistic flight very interesting. It's clear that you have put a lot of thought and effort into your simulations and calculations. Your use of the Lorentz transform to derive the expressions for aberration, doppler shift, and light travel delay is very thorough and well-explained.

I particularly appreciate your use of the light cone constraint to derive the light travel delay in terms of quantities in the unprimed frame. This simplifies the calculation and makes it easier to understand. Additionally, your explanation of the time seen on the clock face by the moving observer is clear and easy to follow.

I have no immediate comments or corrections to offer, as your work seems to be well thought-out and well-supported. However, I would suggest perhaps including some visual aids, such as diagrams or graphs, to help illustrate your calculations and results. This could make your work even more accessible to those who are not as familiar with the subject.

Overall, great job on your simulations and calculations. I hope to see more of your work in the future. Keep up the good work!

Related to Time Shown on Clock Face of Moving Observer: Raytracing in Relativistic Flight

1) How does the time shown on a clock face change for a moving observer in relativistic flight?

The time shown on a clock face for a moving observer in relativistic flight will appear to run slower than the time shown for a stationary observer. This is due to the effects of time dilation, a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity.

2) What is time dilation and how does it affect a moving observer's perception of time?

Time dilation is the concept that time appears to run slower for a moving object compared to a stationary object. This effect is caused by the relative motion of the two objects and is a result of the constant speed of light in the universe.

3) How is the time shown on a clock face affected by the speed of the moving observer?

The time shown on a clock face for a moving observer is affected by their speed, specifically when traveling at speeds close to the speed of light. The faster an object moves, the slower time appears to pass for the moving object in relation to a stationary observer.

4) Can the time shown on a clock face ever appear to run faster for a moving observer?

No, the time shown on a clock face will never appear to run faster for a moving observer. This is because the speed of light is a constant and cannot be exceeded. As a result, time dilation only allows for time to appear to run slower for a moving observer, not faster.

5) How does the concept of time dilation impact our understanding of time and the universe?

The concept of time dilation has greatly impacted our understanding of time and the universe. It has allowed us to better understand the effects of relative motion on time and has been confirmed through various experiments and observations. Time dilation is also essential in understanding other phenomena, such as gravitational time dilation and the concept of space-time.