Time-reversal operator for fermions (Sakurai)

In summary, Sakurai derives the time-reversal operator, \Theta, for the spin-$\frac{1}{2}$ case in section 4.4 of his book Modern Quantum Mechanics (2nd ed.). The operator is given by \Theta = \eta e^{\frac{-i \pi S_{y}}{\hbar}}K = -i \eta \left( \frac{2S_{y}}{\hbar} \right) K, where \eta is an arbitrary unit magnitude complex number, S_{y} is the y-component of the spin operator, and K is the complex conjugation operator. In a basis where S_y/\hbar is diagonal with eigenvalues \pm1/2
Sdakouls
In Modern Quantum Mechanics (2nd ed.) by J.J. Sakurai, in section 4.4 on 'The Time-Reversal Discrete Symmetry' he derives the time-reversal operator, [tex]\Theta[/tex], for the spin-[tex]$\frac{1}{2}$[/tex] case as (pg.: 277, eq. (4.4.65)):

[tex]\Theta = \eta e^{\frac{-i \pi S_{y}}{\hbar}}K = -i \eta \left( \frac{2S_{y}}{\hbar} \right) K[/tex]

where [tex]\eta[/tex] is some arbitrary unit magnitude complex number, [tex]S_{y}[/tex] is the y-component of the spin operator and [tex]K[/tex] is the complex conjugation operator.

Now, I can follow everything he does, except this last equality. I don't know how/why he is able to write down this last equality (I know it's not some kind of Taylor expansion because of the absence of [tex]\pi[/tex] on the RHS). If anyone could shed any light on this, it'd be most appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work in a basis where [itex]S_y/\hbar[/itex] is diagonal with eigenvalues [itex]\pm1/2[/itex]. You can check that the last equality is valid for each eigenvalue; therefore it is valid as a matrix equation.

Related to Time-reversal operator for fermions (Sakurai)

1. What is the time-reversal operator for fermions and why is it important?

The time-reversal operator for fermions, denoted as T, is a mathematical operator that describes the reversal of time in a quantum mechanical system. It is important because it allows us to understand the symmetry of physical laws and phenomena, as well as the behavior of particles in time-reversal invariant systems.

2. How is the time-reversal operator defined for fermions?

The time-reversal operator for fermions is defined as the complex conjugate of the wave function, with a negative sign in front of the momentum operator. This means that Tψ = ψ*(-p), where ψ is the wave function and p is the momentum operator. In other words, the time-reversal operator flips the sign of the momentum of the particle.

3. Is the time-reversal operator hermitian?

Yes, the time-reversal operator for fermions is hermitian, which means that its eigenvalues are real and its eigenvectors are orthogonal. This is important because it allows us to use the time-reversal operator in quantum mechanical calculations and to preserve the probabilities of different outcomes.

4. What is the relationship between the time-reversal operator and spin angular momentum?

The time-reversal operator has a complex relationship with spin angular momentum. While it does reverse the direction of spin, it also introduces a phase factor that depends on the direction of spin and the magnetic field. This phase factor is crucial in determining the behavior of fermions under time-reversal transformations.

5. Can the time-reversal operator be applied to all fermions?

No, the time-reversal operator can only be applied to fermions that are time-reversal invariant, meaning that their behavior is unchanged under time-reversal transformations. This includes particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons, but not particles like photons or gluons.