Time Question - how long did the train block the crossing?

In summary, the train in the given scenario was 500 m long and traveled at a constant speed of 78.6 km/h before slowing down to 15.8 km/h as it approached a crossing. Using the average velocity formula and the distance formula, it can be determined that the train blocked the crossing for approximately 38.14 seconds with a constant acceleration.
a.k
Time Question -- how long did the train block the crossing?

Homework Statement

A commuter train 500 m long travels on a straight track at a speed of 78.6 km/h it slows down as it approaches a crossing. The last car passes the crossing at a speed of 15.8 km/h. With a constant acceleration, how long did the train block the crossing?

Homework Equations

avg v=(v0+vf)/2
t=change x/avg v

The Attempt at a Solution

First I converted 78.6km/h*1000m/km*1h/3600 secs=78600/3600=21.83 m/s
Secondly I converted 15.8km/h*1000m/km*3600h/3600secs=15800/3600=4.39 m/s

Using avg v=21.83+4.39/2=13.11 m/s

t=500m/13.11m/s
t=38.14s

I am pretty sure I did this correctly, but it took me a long time figuring it out (like what to do first and what equations to use). Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you did it correctly. When you're first learning a new subject, you've got to figure that it's going to take you longer than when you gain more experience. Nice job.

Chet

Looks good to me too. My only advise would be to take the average velocity BEFORE you convert it into m/s. Then you just convert the average km/h to m/s. The way you did it is just fine. This would just save a LITTLE time, since you'd only have to do that conversion once.

I personally shy away from 'averages' since I've been burned more than once by them. In this case it's of course OK.
But you could approach the problem more formally:
Keeping our eye on the front of the train only,

v(t) = v(0) + ∫0t a(t')dt'
= v(0) +at since a is constant.
So v(T) = v(0) + aT where T = total time of intersection blockage. ... (1)
Then, s(t) = distance traveled by head of locomotive until the intersection is cleared
= ∫0t v(t')dt' + s(0) but s(0) = 0,
= ∫0t(v(0) + at')dt'
and s(T) = v(0)T + aT2/2 = 0.5 ... (2)

Now you can solve (1) and (2) for T and a.

BTW this ignores the length of the intersection. The intersection is actually blocked from the moment the locomotive first intersects with the near end and stays blocked until the last wagon passes the far end, so our answer for T is too short for any finite length intersection. :eek:

Your solution looks correct to me! It's always a good idea to start by converting all units to the same system (in this case, meters and seconds) to avoid any confusion. Also, it's important to keep track of the units throughout your calculations to make sure they are consistent. Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts and equations needed to solve this problem. Keep practicing and you'll become even more efficient at solving these types of questions!

Related to Time Question - how long did the train block the crossing?

1. How is time measured?

Time is measured in units such as seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, and years. These units are based on the Earth's rotation and orbit around the sun.

2. What is the difference between elapsed time and duration?

Elapsed time refers to the time that has passed between a start and end point, while duration refers to the length of time that something lasts.

3. How can the time a train blocks a crossing be calculated?

The time a train blocks a crossing can be calculated by subtracting the time the train arrived at the crossing from the time it departed.

4. Can time be manipulated or controlled?

Time cannot be manipulated or controlled as it is a fundamental aspect of the universe. However, humans have created ways to measure and track time using clocks and calendars.

5. Can time travel be possible?

The concept of time travel is currently only possible in theory and has not been proven to be possible in reality. It is a popular topic in science fiction but there is currently no scientific evidence to support its existence.