Time period of block springs SHM

In summary, the conversation is about finding the relation between the change in length of two springs and the small distance that a block is pushed. The use of small angle approximation is suggested, but it is not clear how to apply it. An alternative method is proposed, which involves dropping a perpendicular from the original position of the mass to a stretched spring, creating a roughly 45-45-90 triangle. This method is found to be more accurate and helpful in solving the problem.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

Springs.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Length of the unstretched springs is L .Suppose block is pushed towards C by a small distance x . This causes a change in length of springs B and C . Their new length is L+∆L .Consider spring B. If the new length makes a small angle θ with the vertical .

I need to find relation between ∆L and x .

Applying cosine rule ,

x2 = (L+∆L)2 + L2 -2L(L+∆L)cosθ

For small angles , cosθ≈1.

Using this I get ∆L = x .

This is not correct . What is the mistake ?

Attachments

• Springs.png
    Springs.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 696
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
For small angles , cosθ≈1.
Perhaps that is not exact enough here.
How about applying the cosine rule using the known angle?

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
Perhaps that is not exact enough here.

Could you explain what do you mean by this .

Should I use cosθ ≈ 1-θ2/2 , but then what value should I put for θ ?

Jahnavi said:
Should I use cosθ ≈ 1-θ2/2
Yes, but as you say the result is unhelpful, so why not try the alternative I suggested.

haruspex said:
How about applying the cosine rule using the known angle?

That does give correct result :smile: Thank you .

This is one of the tougher problems in the book and the hint along with question is to use small angle approximation . This is why I used angle θ as it seemed to be the only small angle in the triangle formed .

If you can think of some why how to use small angle approximation , please let me know .

Last edited:
Jahnavi said:
how to use small angle approximation
No, it does not seem useful here.
A simpler way is to drop a perpendicular from the original position of the mass to a stretched spring and observe that this produces a roughly 45-45-90 triangle with x as the hypotenuse and ΔL on each of the other sides.

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
A simpler way is to drop a perpendicular from the original position of the mass to a stretched spring and observe that this produces a roughly 45-45-90 triangle with x as the hypotenuse and ΔL on each of the other sides.

This is so good :smile:

How did you get this ? It is not obvious to me . How is length of the perpendicular ∆L (or how are the two angles 45° each ) ?

Last edited:
Jahnavi said:
This is so good :smile:

How did you get this ? It is not obvious to me . How is length of the perpendicular ∆L (or how are the two angles 45° each ) ?
The perpendicular will meet the stretched spring roughly L from the spring's anchor point, leaving ΔL on the other side, from the perpendicular to the mass. Since that small triangle is nearly isosceles, the perpendicular itself is length ΔL.

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
The perpendicular will meet the stretched spring roughly L from the spring's anchor point,

How ?

haruspex said:
Since that small triangle is nearly isosceles,

How ?

haruspex said:
The perpendicular will meet the stretched spring roughly L from the spring's anchor point
To be exact, L cos(θ) ≈ L.
haruspex said:
Since that small triangle is nearly isosceles
Angles are 90, 45-θ, 45+θ.

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
To be exact, L cos(θ) ≈ L.

Angles are 90, 45-θ, 45+θ.

OK . Thanks :smile:

Related to Time period of block springs SHM

1. What is the equation for the time period of block springs SHM?

The equation for the time period of block springs SHM is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the time period, m is the mass of the block, and k is the spring constant.

2. How does the mass of the block affect the time period of block springs SHM?

The time period of block springs SHM is directly proportional to the square root of the mass of the block. This means that as the mass of the block increases, the time period also increases.

3. How does the spring constant affect the time period of block springs SHM?

The time period of block springs SHM is inversely proportional to the square root of the spring constant. This means that as the spring constant increases, the time period decreases.

4. What is the relationship between the time period and the amplitude of block springs SHM?

The time period of block springs SHM is independent of the amplitude. This means that changing the amplitude of the oscillation will not affect the time period.

5. Can the time period of block springs SHM be affected by external factors?

Yes, the time period of block springs SHM can be affected by external factors such as friction and air resistance. These factors can decrease the amplitude of the oscillation and therefore affect the time period.