Time it takes to lift a sofa with power

In summary, the conversation discusses using a 1.18 kW motor to lift a 84.7 kg sofa 18.8 m from the street into a sixth-floor apartment. The question is asked about the time it takes for the lift to occur, and the conversation explores the use of conservation of energy to find the answer. The concept of power and potential energy are also mentioned in relation to the lift. Ultimately, the formula PE=mgh is used to determine the work done and the time is found using the formula t=w/p.
Capncanada

Homework Statement

Your sofa won't fit through the door of your new sixth-floor apartment, so you use a 1.18 kW motor to lift the 84.7 kg sofa 18.8 m from the street.

How much time does the lift take?

Homework Equations

KE_i+PE_i=KE_f+PE_f
(If forces are conserved? I'm not sure if so.)

The Attempt at a Solution

KE_i=PE_f
1/2mv^2=mgh
1/2v^2=gh
This leads to a dead end I think, velocity ends up being very large..

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably, the sofa is lifted at a constant speed, so its kinetic energy doesn't change.

So conservation of energy would apply, so the Kinetic energy will equal the potential energy of the sofa at the top?

With the conservation equation how would I get to the units of time?

I repeat, the Kinetic Energy doesn't change. It remains the same.

What is power?

Power is work over time.

If the work doesn't go into increasing the K.E., then What form of energy is being increased as the piano is lifted?

The potential energy increases..

Right.

So how much energy must the sofa gain to make it to the 6th floor?

Found it, I need to gain a better grasp for what my units are. Thank you for getting me started on it. I found the PE=mgh and that is the work done.

t=w/p gets me my answer.

Yup. That's it.

Related to Time it takes to lift a sofa with power

1. How long does it take to lift a sofa with power?

The time it takes to lift a sofa with power can vary depending on the power of the lifting mechanism and the weight of the sofa. However, most power lift sofas can be raised to a fully upright position in under 30 seconds.

2. What factors affect the time it takes to lift a sofa with power?

The main factors that affect the time it takes to lift a sofa with power are the weight of the sofa, the power of the lifting mechanism, and any potential obstacles or obstructions in the way.

3. Can the time it takes to lift a sofa with power be reduced?

Yes, the time it takes to lift a sofa with power can be reduced by using a more powerful lifting mechanism or by removing any obstacles that may be obstructing the path of the sofa.

4. Is there a recommended weight limit for a sofa to be lifted with power?

Most power lift sofas have a weight limit of around 300-400 pounds. It is important to check the weight limit of your specific sofa and make sure it is within the recommended range to ensure safe and efficient lifting.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when lifting a sofa with power?

Yes, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when lifting a sofa with power. This may include making sure the power supply is properly connected, keeping hands and fingers away from moving parts, and avoiding overloading the lifting mechanism.