Time in Physics 4-Vectors: Is Time Included in the Position Four-Vector?

In summary, the quote suggests that energy can be considered as the time component of the momentum 4-vector, but this does not mean that time can be substituted for energy or vice versa. The phrase "time component" refers to the 0 component of a 4-vector and does not have a direct connection to real time. The space-time 4-vector includes time as its "timelike component," and the position four-vector also includes time.
jaketodd
Gold Member
A quote from an old thread reads "Energy is the time component of the momentum 4-vector"

That quote came from a Science Advisor.

Does this mean that time can be either a) substituted for energy in the momentum 4-vector, or b) seen as equivalent to energy in the momentum 4-vector? Hmm, maybe my a) and b) are the same. Regardless, the question remains. If the answer is "No," then is there a physics 4-vector that includes time? I say "physics" as to discern them from purely mathematical 4-vectors.

Also, when working with physics 4-vectors of the same sort, such as comparing physics 4-vectors of the same sort, do all the constituent vectors combine of a given physics 4-vector? If so, what are the operators of how they combine?

Thanks,

Jake

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, neither, and I think I see where the confusion comes from. "the time component" is, what I believe, a reference to the coordinate 4-vector [itex]x_{\alpha}=\langle ct,x,y,z \rangle [/itex] where the first component is a time coordinate. Then identifying the first component of each 4-vector as the "time component" simply references the scalar part of the 4-vector.

There are however some amazing connections between time and energy, outside of, perhaps, simple phrasing. One of which is that the energy of a system is identified as the source for temporal-translation.

I hope this helps.

Neither.

The four-momentum is [itex]\vec{p} =(\gamma mc,\gamma m\boldsymbol{v})=(\frac{E}{c},\boldsymbol{p})[/itex]. It comes from taking the derivative of the position four-vector with respect to proper time and multiplying by the invariant mass. The temporal component is the energy divided by c. The spatial component is the relativistic three-momentum. That doesn't mean time can be substituted for energy (it doesn't make sense, even dimensionally) or vice versa.

The colloquial use of the phrase 'time component' just means the 0 component of a 4-vector in a 0,1,2,3 metric. The only connection with real time is that ct is the 'time component' of the vector x^\mu.

So there is no physics 4-vector that includes time?

Thanks,

Jake

I wrote that the space-time 4-vector x^\mu=(ct;x,y,z) includes time as its 'timelike component'.

jaketodd said:
So there is no physics 4-vector that includes time?

Thanks,

Jake

The position four-vector does. The components are (ct,x,y,z).

Related to Time in Physics 4-Vectors: Is Time Included in the Position Four-Vector?

1. What is a 4-vector in physics?

A 4-vector in physics is a mathematical object that has four components: three spatial components and one temporal component. It represents a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction in space and time.

2. How is time represented in 4-vectors?

Time is represented as the fourth component in a 4-vector, typically denoted as t. It is measured in seconds and is used to describe the temporal aspect of a physical phenomenon.

3. What is the significance of 4-vectors in relativity?

In relativity, 4-vectors play a crucial role in describing the laws of physics in a way that is consistent with the principles of special relativity. They allow for the combination of space and time coordinates into a single mathematical object, making it easier to understand and analyze relativistic phenomena.

4. How do 4-vectors relate to the concept of spacetime?

Spacetime is a mathematical construct that combines the three-dimensional space and one-dimensional time into a four-dimensional continuum. 4-vectors are used to describe the coordinates of events in this four-dimensional spacetime, allowing for a unified understanding of space and time.

5. Can 4-vectors be used in other areas of physics?

Yes, 4-vectors are not limited to just time in physics. They can be used to describe other physical quantities such as momentum, energy, and electromagnetic fields. They are also used in other areas of physics such as quantum mechanics and thermodynamics.