Time Dilation: Why Do Observers Measure Different Times?

In summary, if an observer is not moving in their inertial frame, and another observer is moving relatively to the first with a velocity V, then the second observer will measure a different time from the first. However, if two observers use radar to measure each others' clocks, the relativistic Doppler effect will cause the second observer to see the first's clock running slowly if they are separating, and running faster if they are approaching.
Gavroy
hi

i have some troubles to understand something properly:

if oberserver A is not moving in his inertial frame and there is some observer B moving relatively to oberserver A with velocity V, then this observer B will measure a different(shorter) time from the one that is measured by observer A.

but one could also say that from B's inertial frame that B is not moving and he says: hey, observer A is moving with velocity -V, then the equation that gives me the time dilation would be the same, which would mean, that in this case observer A would measure a shorter time from the one that is measured by oberserver B, which seems to be a logical contradiction, where am i wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say that A uses coordinates (t,x) to measure things he is comoving with, and B uses coordinates (T,X). If A calculates T in terms of t, he gets dilation of T. If B calculates t in terms of T he gets dilation of t. But on its own it doesn't mean much.

However, if A and B use Doppler radar to measure each others clocks then

if they are separating they both see the others clock run slowly ( red spectral shift)
if they are approaching they both see the others clock running faster ( blue spectral shift)

It's probably best to concentrate on the Doppler because that's what actually happens, whereas the coordinate change isn't.

Mentz114 said:
However, if A and B use Doppler radar to measure each others clocks the...
Good answer, except that it's just plain old Doppler (1-way) not Doppler radar (2-way).

ghwellsjr said:
Good answer, except that it's just plain old Doppler (1-way) not Doppler radar (2-way).
Thanks. You're right about the Doppler.

Just to clarify for the OP - if light is emitted by A or B and received by the other, it will show the spectral shifts. The radar will measure the distance between A and B but that's another tale.

ghwell:
...it's just plain old Doppler

wow, how did you ever notice THAT?? I just skipped right past it...good catch.

Naty1 said:
ghwell:
ghwellsjr said:
...it's just plain old Doppler
wow, how did you ever notice THAT?? I just skipped right past it...good catch.
I suppose because I'm really sensitive to the difference between one-way and two-way things in relativity (such as the speed of light).

I think using Doppler shift to illustrate twin paradox effects is helpful, but the problem with it--it seems to me--is that you have to use time dilation in order to derive the proper form for relativistic Doppler shift.

There is, though, a heuristic argument for the relativistic Doppler shift that is possibly more direct than the whole derivation of the Lorentz transformations.

Assume that in some frame F, light travels isotropically at speed c. Let there be one clock, A, that is at rest in frame F, that sends out light signals at a characteristic rate of one per second. Let a second clock, B be traveling at speed v relative to F. Let it be sending signals at a characteristic rate of r (to be determined). r is measured relative to frame F.

Now, we can compute two different ratios:
R_AB = (rate at which signals sent by A arrive at B)/(rate at which B sends signals)
R_BA = (rate at which signals sent by B arrive at A)/(rate at which A sends signals)

R_AB = (1-(v/c))/r
R_BA = r/(1+(v/c))

Now, let's invoke the relativity principle: Assume that the situation between clocks A and B are symmetrical. That's only possible if R_AB = R_BA, which implies
(1-(v/c))/r = r/(1+(v/c))

which implies r = √(1-(v/c)2)

With that choice for r, we have
R_AB = R_BA = √((c-v)/(c+v))

So the relativistic Doppler shift formula is the only choice that satisfies the relativity principle and the isotropy of the speed of light.

Related to Time Dilation: Why Do Observers Measure Different Times?

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for different observers. It is a consequence of the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers.

2. Why do observers measure different times?

Observers measure different times because of their relative speeds and positions. According to the theory of relativity, time slows down for an observer in motion relative to another observer. This is known as time dilation.

3. How does time dilation affect our daily lives?

Time dilation is not noticeable in our daily lives because the differences in time are extremely small unless we are traveling at very high speeds. However, it has significant impacts on technologies such as GPS, where precise time measurements are crucial.

4. Can time dilation be observed or measured?

Yes, time dilation has been observed and measured in experiments. One famous example is the Hafele-Keating experiment, in which atomic clocks were flown around the world in opposite directions, resulting in a measurable difference in time between the two clocks.

5. Does time dilation only occur in space or does it also occur on Earth?

Time dilation can occur both in space and on Earth. It is not limited to objects in motion but can also occur due to differences in gravitational forces. For example, time runs slightly faster at higher altitudes due to weaker gravitational forces.