Time Dilation & Length Contraction: Does Relativity Work for Mediums?

In summary, Dale said that nothing travels faster than c, and Mohammed said that relativity still works in a medium.
Mohammed Ayaz Quadri
Hello I am new here and I am just Junior college student. So please use simpler terms. I need to know that does relativity work for mediums like air and water. I mean the equations of time dilation and length contraction, do they work for other mediums. If so shall I take C as the speed of light in vacuum or thr speed at that particular medium? Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mohammed, welcome to PF!

Relativity still works in a medium, and the c that you use is the speed of light in vacuum. The invariant speed is not changed inside a medium.

In fact, inside a medium, particles may exceed the speed of light in the medium as long as they do not exceed c.

To expand slightly on what Dale said, the quantity c in the Lorentz transforms and length contraction and time dilation formulae is an invariant quantity that is the same everywhere for everyone. It also happens to be the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. That's not actually a coincidence, but as far as relativity is concerned it's just an interesting fact.

So that means you always use c in the Lorentz transforms, not whatever the speed of light is in whatever medium you happen to be in.

Ty everyone. I didnt expected so quick answers. Can you help with this: I have heard that very few things found are traveling at a speed more that c. How far is this true? Ty

Nothing travels faster than c.

There was some brief confusion about neutrinos, but it turned out that there was a loose cable in the experiment's time recording apparatus. And there are purely hypothetical particles called tachyons, but they've never been detected. I should point out that I don't even know if there's a respectable theory that predicts tachyons, or if they're just science fiction. You do sometimes see them mentioned, though.

Edit: as Dale said, things can exceed the speed of light in a medium (look up Cerenkov radiation, which is a side-effect of this). But nothing exceeds c.

Mohammed Ayaz Quadri said:
Ty everyone. I didnt expected so quick answers. Can you help with this: I have heard that very few things found are traveling at a speed more that c. How far is this true? Ty
NOTHING travels at more than c. Period.

EDIT: Ibix beat me to it.

phinds said:
EDIT: Ibix beat me to it.
My reply speed gets close to c. :wink:

Ibix said:
You can increase it by dieting until you are massless! ;)

Likes Ibix
Ibix said:
And my brain is often in a vacuum, so together we've got it covered.

Likes Ibix
Ty. Everyone is very helpful here. Some interesting conversation going on, eh?

Related to Time Dilation & Length Contraction: Does Relativity Work for Mediums?

1. How does time dilation and length contraction work in different mediums?

Time dilation and length contraction are two key concepts in Einstein's theory of relativity. According to this theory, the passage of time and the measurement of distance are not absolute but are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that the effects of time dilation and length contraction will vary depending on the medium through which an object is moving.

2. Can time dilation and length contraction be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the effects of time dilation and length contraction can be observed in everyday life, although they may be very small and difficult to measure. For example, GPS satellites in orbit around the Earth experience time dilation due to their high speeds and this must be taken into account when making precise measurements for navigation purposes.

3. How does the speed of an object affect time dilation and length contraction?

The faster an object moves, the more significant the effects of time dilation and length contraction become. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down and the object appears to become shorter in the direction of its motion from the perspective of an observer in a different frame of reference.

4. Is it possible for an object to experience both time dilation and length contraction at the same time?

Yes, it is possible for an object to experience both time dilation and length contraction simultaneously. This can occur when an object is moving at high speeds in a medium with a high refractive index, such as water or glass. In this scenario, the effects of time dilation and length contraction will compound and be even more significant.

5. Are there any real-life applications of time dilation and length contraction?

Yes, the concepts of time dilation and length contraction have been confirmed through numerous experiments and have real-life applications in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. For example, understanding these concepts is crucial for accurately calculating the trajectories of spacecraft and for developing advanced technologies such as particle accelerators.