Time Dilation Explained by Stephen Hawking: 1 Day = 1 Year?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation and how it relates to the speed of light. The video suggests that at 99% of the speed of light, one day on the ship would equal a year on Earth, but the speaker disagrees and calculates that it would need to be 99.9996% of the speed of light for that ratio. They also express surprise at Stephen Hawking being associated with a video that contains an error.
Serious Max

Here (at ~3:50) they say if the ship reaches 99% of the speed of light, a single day on the ship = year on Earth. But it looks like it's going to be one week on Earth. http://cosmology.com/images/3TimeDilationTable1.jpg Is it just a simplification of some sort in the video?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. At 0.99c, time dilation should only be a factor of seven (must...resist...Jeffrey...Hunter...impression). Even accounting for relativistic Doppler effects I only get a factor of 14.

I make it that they need to travel at 0.999996c for a 1:365 ratio.

I'm a little surprised at Hawking lending his name to something with such a straightforward error in it, so I suppose it's possible we're both misinterpreting the video somehow.

Likes Serious Max

Related to Time Dilation Explained by Stephen Hawking: 1 Day = 1 Year?

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a concept in physics that states that time can pass at different rates for different observers, depending on their relative speeds and gravitational forces.

2. How does time dilation work?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time dilation occurs because time and space are interconnected and can be influenced by factors such as velocity and gravity. Essentially, the faster an object moves or the stronger the gravitational force it is subjected to, the slower time will pass for that object compared to a stationary observer.

3. What is the significance of 1 day = 1 year in time dilation?

This equation is a simplified example used to illustrate the concept of time dilation. It states that if an observer were to travel at incredibly high speeds or experience intense gravitational forces, they would experience a significant time difference compared to a stationary observer. For example, if an astronaut were to travel near the speed of light for one day, they would age the equivalent of one year compared to someone on Earth.

4. Is time dilation just a theoretical concept or has it been proven?

Time dilation is a well-established concept in physics and has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, such as the Hafele-Keating experiment and satellite clocks. It is also a crucial component of GPS technology, which relies on precise time measurements for accurate location calculations.

5. How does Stephen Hawking's explanation of time dilation differ from others?

Stephen Hawking's explanation of time dilation is based on his research and theories in black hole physics. He proposed that time dilation near a black hole is so extreme that time would essentially come to a standstill at the event horizon, the point of no return. This concept is known as gravitational time dilation and is a significant aspect of Hawking's work in understanding the nature of black holes.