Time Dependent Exact Solutions of Einstein's Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses different potential time-dependent solutions of Einstein's equations, specifically the Robertson-Walker cosmological solution and the pp wave spacetime solution. The participants also discuss the possibility of a mass falling towards another mass as a time-dependent solution, but note that there is no exact solution for this scenario.
Vrbic
Hello,
I am looking for some time dependent exact solution of Einsteins eqs. If I am right (if not please correct me) the easiest one is Robertson - Walker cosmological solution for homogeneous and isotropic universe (this use Oppenheimer and Snyder for collapse). I can't find another in common literature.
Is it some "easyone", not necessary physicaly relevant, solution? Or some list or something like that? I am really curious how such solution in metric form (lenght element) looks like.

Thank you for replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is probably just a dumb answer, but how about an object in free fall radially with the Schwarzschild metric?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
This is probably just a dumb answer, but how about an object in free fall radially with the Schwarzschild metric?

Chet

If you mean, free falling frame is time dependant "solution". My opinion is that if you are in spacetime described by Schwarzschild metric, you can transform to any frame but metric coefficient doesn't change. You can observe a test particle in free falling frame, it would have time-dependant coordinates (at least r), but measuring in this frame have to carry out by same metric.
If somebody has a comment to my point of view, please don't worry.

Chestermiller said:
how about an object in free fall radially with the Schwarzschild metric?

That wouldn't be a time-dependent solution to the EFE, because the metric is not time-dependent. More precisely, if you take a family of observers free-falling radially, all of them see the *same* metric at any given value of the radial coordinate ##r##, so all of their worldlines are exactly the same. The ##r## coordinates of each observer are time-dependent, but the observers' worldlines aren't solutions of the EFE, they're just solutions of the geodesic equation given a fixed metric. The metric is the solution of the EFE.

Chestermiller said:

Chet

PeterDonis said:
That wouldn't be a time-dependent solution to the EFE, because the metric is not time-dependent. More precisely, if you take a family of observers free-falling radially, all of them see the *same* metric at any given value of the radial coordinate ##r##, so all of their worldlines are exactly the same. The ##r## coordinates of each observer are time-dependent, but the observers' worldlines aren't solutions of the EFE, they're just solutions of the geodesic equation given a fixed metric. The metric is the solution of the EFE.

If you actually talked about a non-zero mass falling toward another much larger mass, that would be time dependent but there is no such exact solution (last I checked). Such a solution would (if exact) involve gravitational radiation.

Vrbic said:
If you mean, free falling frame is time dependant "solution". My opinion is that if you are in spacetime described by Schwarzschild metric, you can transform to any frame but metric coefficient doesn't change. You can observe a test particle in free falling frame, it would have time-dependant coordinates (at least r), but measuring in this frame have to carry out by same metric.
If somebody has a comment to my point of view, please don't worry.

PeterDonis said:

PAllen said:
If you actually talked about a non-zero mass falling toward another much larger mass, that would be time dependent but there is no such exact solution (last I checked). Such a solution would (if exact) involve gravitational radiation.
As I said, it was probably a naive answer. There is still a lot I would like to learn.

Chet

Related to Time Dependent Exact Solutions of Einstein's Equations

1. What are time dependent exact solutions of Einstein's equations?

Time dependent exact solutions are mathematical equations that describe the behavior of space and time in our universe, based on Einstein's theory of general relativity. These solutions take into account the effects of gravity on the curvature of space and the flow of time.

2. How do these solutions differ from other solutions of Einstein's equations?

Unlike other solutions of Einstein's equations, which are often simplified or approximate, time dependent exact solutions provide a more precise and comprehensive understanding of the complex interactions between matter, energy, and space in our universe.

3. What are some examples of time dependent exact solutions?

Some examples of time dependent exact solutions include the Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker (FLRW) metric, which describes the expanding universe, and the Schwarzschild metric, which describes the gravitational field around a spherically symmetric object.

4. How are time dependent exact solutions used in scientific research?

Time dependent exact solutions are used in a variety of areas of scientific research, including cosmology, astrophysics, and gravitational wave detection. They provide a framework for understanding the behavior of space and time in extreme environments such as black holes and the early universe.

5. Are there any limitations to using time dependent exact solutions?

While time dependent exact solutions are extremely useful for understanding the behavior of space and time, they do have limitations. For example, they may not accurately describe phenomena on very small scales or in highly complex systems, and they may not take into account all possible factors or interactions.