Time as a Basis Vector in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, time and space are not considered as dimensions in the mathematical representation of quantum mechanical states, but rather as symmetries that correspond to certain operators in the theory. The existence of a position operator is not guaranteed and depends on the specific quantum theory being considered. The Hamiltonian is the time evolution operator and can affect properties of a state while preserving probabilities. The position operator has eigenvectors that can be written as |x>, but this does not correspond to three dimensions of the Hilbert space.
sol66
I was explaining basis vectors to my brother, I said that in quantum mechanics that when you have a number of dimensions, each dimension being an eigenket in vector space, that every dimension is independent of all the other basis vectors. It is however interesting to think that if this is the case, then time would not qualify as an eigenbasis but as rather transform or observable on your eigenkets. Is time suppose to be a unitary operator or something? This would mean time cannot be the 4th dimension. I suppose this would effect relative quantum mechanics given that all states of a particle must be in the same time state making time negligible as an eigenbasis. I suppose my question is, what is time considered to be(a dimension or unitary operator) and how is it treated in quantum relativity ( a course I have yet to take ).

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither time nor space has anything to do with the basis vectors of the Hilbert space. Space and time are "dimensions" in the classical description of spacetime, but not in the mathematical representation of quantum mechanical "states". The symmetries of that classical theory do however correspond to symmetries of the quantum theory, in a way that ensures the existence of certain operators in the mathematical representation of "observables". The one that corresponds to translations in time is the Hamiltonian (energy) and the ones that correspond to translations in space are the momentum components. (The time translation operator is unitary and can be written as exp(-iHt) where H is the Hamiltonian).

The existence of a position operator isn't guaranteed by this, but one can usually be constructed. It depends on the details of the specific quantum theory of matter that we're considering. The theory of photons is especially problematic. There's no position operator for photons (or other massless particles).

Oh, ok .. I suppose that makes a bit of sense, its just that in my classes it seemed that position was described as a state vector |x> and so I thought it was indeed part of a basis vectors of Hilbert Space. I guess what |x> really is is a projection onto a basis of vectors in Hilbert Space. And as you mentioned the Hamiltonian being the time evolution, though unitary not effecting probabilities of a particular state, seems to effect properties of that state while preserving probabilities; in the case that I am referring to the components of |x> eigenkets are changed.

Hmmm, I'll be honest I've never taken a class in this stuff and everything I've done up to now is self taught, I'm taking my first quantum class this upcoming semester. I'm still dumb in this stuff but I feel like I'm getting somewhat of a grasp on it. If hopefully my interpretation of the material is now correct. Thanks.

If we ignore some technical difficulties, it is essentially correct to say that the position operator has eigenvectors that we can write as |x>, and that the set of such position eigenvectors is a kind of basis for the Hilbert space of state vectors. Note however that "position" doesn't correspond to three dimensions of the Hilbert space, but rather all of them (infinitely many), and that the same thing can be said about any observable.

Related to Time as a Basis Vector in Quantum Mechanics

1. What is the significance of using time as a basis vector in quantum mechanics?

Time as a basis vector in quantum mechanics is important because it allows us to understand the evolution of quantum systems over time. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of these systems and study the dynamics of quantum processes.

2. How is time represented mathematically in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, time is represented as a linear operator, which means it acts on quantum states to produce new states. This operator is usually denoted by the letter T and is used to calculate the time evolution of quantum systems.

3. Can time be considered as a physical quantity in quantum mechanics?

No, time is not considered as a physical quantity in quantum mechanics. It is rather a mathematical parameter used to describe the evolution of quantum systems. However, time does play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

4. How does time uncertainty affect quantum systems?

According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the more precisely we know the time at which a quantum system is measured, the less precisely we know its energy. This means that time uncertainty can affect the energy of a quantum system, and vice versa.

5. How does the concept of time change in quantum mechanics compared to classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, time is considered as a universal and absolute parameter that flows at a constant rate. However, in quantum mechanics, time is treated as a relative and operator-dependent concept. This means that the passage of time can vary for different observers and in different quantum systems.