Time and Before the Big Bang

In summary, there is no consensus on whether or not time was "created" in the Big Bang. Some theories do not include a time dimension, while others believe that time existed before the Big Bang. It is my understanding that regular inflationary theories don't even deal with the question at all, being outside of its purview. It's also my understanding that there are theories that do not include a time dimension, but it is hard to imagine one because it would see nothing happen without time.
dm4b
Time and "Before" the Big Bang

I am just trying to get a feel for the general consensus on whether not not time was "created" in the Big Bang, meaning there really is no "before" the Big Bang.

As I understand it, in M Theory cosmology the (or, our) Big Bang would not be the beginning of time. For there to be brane dyamics there would have to be time, right?

What's the view on time existing before the Big Bang under Eternal Inflation?

Also, are there any other theories with interesting viewpoints out there beyond these two?

It's my understanding that regular inflationary theories don't even deal with the question at all, being outside its purview. Is that correct?

Are there any theories that do not include a time dimension? Hard to imagine one, since it would see nothing would happen w/o time? I guess perhaps we start getting into philosophy at this point, so maybe I should stop here so another one of my threads doesn't get shut down ;-)

Space news on Phys.org

I will try to summarize but it may contain some errors:

* General Relativity Point-of-View: space time was created with universe at t=0 but theory blows up at t=0.

* Quantum cosmology point of view: time was "fuzzy" between t=0 and the Planck time (10^-43 sec) but time need not exist before t=0. Perhaps our universe could have quantum tunneled from something before t = 0, but I am not sure how reasonable this is.

* M-theory: time existing before our universe was generated at t = 0 but the cosmos is not infinitely old. In this context, the "cosmos" is our universe and any and all other separate space times.

* Eternal inflation- basically a scalar field or false vacuum existied before t =0 for our universe but again the cosmos is not infinitely old. Guth calls this "past incomplete."

Last edited:

In addition there are other theories, such as an oscillating universe.

I'm willing to bet a six-pack that we won't know the answer in the next 1000 years. That's assuming that you are I are still alive in 1000 years and they still have six-packs then.

In the year 2561, they'll invent 1-packs that spontaneously regenerate.

dm4b said:
I am just trying to get a feel for the general consensus on whether not not time was "created" in the Big Bang, meaning there really is no "before" the Big Bang.

As I understand it, in M Theory cosmology the (or, our) Big Bang would not be the beginning of time. For there to be brane dyamics there would have to be time, right?

What's the view on time existing before the Big Bang under Eternal Inflation?

Also, are there any other theories with interesting viewpoints out there beyond these two?

It's my understanding that regular inflationary theories don't even deal with the question at all, being outside its purview. Is that correct?

Are there any theories that do not include a time dimension? Hard to imagine one, since it would see nothing would happen w/o time? I guess perhaps we start getting into philosophy at this point, so maybe I should stop here so another one of my threads doesn't get shut down ;-)

This book, when it comes out, (the release date seems to be eternally pushed back)will hopefully help:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540714227/?tag=pfamazon01-20
it lays out seevral different scenarios, I htink its safe to say there is no consensus.

Thanks skydivephil. Looks like an interesting book. Hopefully that price comes down!

bcrowell said:
I'm willing to bet a six-pack that we won't know the answer in the next 1000 years. That's assuming that you are I are still alive in 1000 years and they still have six-packs then.

You're on.

BillSaltLake said:
In the year 2561, they'll invent 1-packs that spontaneously regenerate.

:smile::smile::smile:

Related to Time and Before the Big Bang

1. What is the concept of "time" before the Big Bang?

The concept of "time" before the Big Bang is a highly debated topic among scientists. Some theories suggest that time did not exist before the Big Bang, as it is considered to be the beginning of the universe and all of its physical laws. Other theories propose that time may have existed in a different form before the Big Bang, but it is not fully understood or measurable.

2. Can we ever know what happened before the Big Bang?

It is currently impossible for us to know with certainty what happened before the Big Bang. The laws of physics and time as we know them break down at this point, making it difficult to gather any empirical evidence. However, scientists continue to explore and develop theories to better understand the events leading up to the Big Bang.

3. Was there anything "existing" before the Big Bang?

The concept of "existence" is also a matter of debate when discussing the time before the Big Bang. Some theories suggest that the universe was in a state of singularity before the Big Bang, meaning that all matter and energy were condensed into an infinitely small point. Other theories propose that there may have been other universes or dimensions that existed before the Big Bang.

4. How does time relate to the creation of the universe?

The concept of time is closely related to the creation of the universe. The Big Bang is considered to be the starting point of time and the universe, and it is thought to have expanded and evolved over billions of years. However, the exact relationship between time and the creation of the universe is still a subject of ongoing research and debate.

5. Can time travel be possible before the Big Bang?

The concept of time travel before the Big Bang is also a subject of debate and exploration. Some theories propose that time travel may be possible in the future, but it is not possible to travel to a time before the Big Bang as it is considered to be the beginning of time itself. Other theories suggest that time travel may be possible through other dimensions or universes that existed before the Big Bang.