Time an apple stays in the air

In summary, a girl throws an apple vertically upward from a height of 1.3m with an initial velocity of 2.7m/s. Using the equations d=vit + 1/2at^2 and vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad, the apple reaches a maximum height of 1.67156 m. To find the time it takes for the apple to stay in the air, the quadratic formula must be used since there are two t's in the equation. However, it is not possible to find a solution for the time it takes for the apple to travel up 1.67 m starting at 2.7 m/s against gravity. Instead, the height of the apple when it
doctordiddy

Homework Statement

Basically a girl throws an apple vertically upward from a height of 1.3m with an initial velocity of 2.7m/s. I also know that gravity is =-9.8m/s. I found that the apple reaches a maximum height of 1.67156 m. How long does the apple stay in the air in total?

All I know is I have to find the time it takes is made up of the apple being thrown up, and then falling down all the way past the starting point to the ground. (the starting point is 1.3m off the ground)

Homework Equations

I think you have to use d=vit + 1/2at^2 and maybe vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad

d= distance
a= acceleration
t= time

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the first equation to find the time it takes the apple to reach max height but after that I just don't know how to solve it.

I end up with an equation with two t's, one t and one is t^2

Here is my work for finding t1

1.67156 = 2.7t - 4.9t^2

How do i isolate t if there are two t's?

Physics news on Phys.org
doctordiddy said:

1.67156 = 2.7t - 4.9t^2

How do i isolate t if there are two t's?

To solve, you need to use the quadratic formula.

I think there is an error in your thinking; you are finding the time to travel up 1.67 m starting at 2.7 m/s against gravity. This isn't possible - there is no solution (try it).

You are on the right track. How high is the ball when it is starts (at Vi = 2.7 m/s) and where is the ground relative to the start position?

Last edited:

Related to Time an apple stays in the air

1. How does the height from which an apple is dropped affect the time it stays in the air?

The higher the drop height, the longer the apple stays in the air. This is because the apple has more potential energy when it is dropped from a higher height, which is then converted into kinetic energy as it falls. This increase in kinetic energy allows the apple to stay in the air for a longer period of time.

2. Does the weight of an apple affect the time it stays in the air?

Yes, the weight of an apple does affect the time it stays in the air. Heavier apples will fall faster than lighter apples due to the force of gravity. However, the difference in time may be too small to notice without precise measurement equipment.

3. How does air resistance impact the time an apple stays in the air?

Air resistance, also known as drag, slows down the apple as it falls through the air. This means that the longer the apple is in the air, the more it will be affected by air resistance. Therefore, air resistance can decrease the time an apple stays in the air.

4. Is the time an apple stays in the air affected by the shape of the apple?

Yes, the shape of an apple can affect the time it stays in the air. A more aerodynamic shape, such as a streamlined apple, will experience less air resistance and therefore stay in the air for a longer time compared to a less aerodynamic shape.

5. Can the time an apple stays in the air be calculated?

Yes, the time an apple stays in the air can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is time, h is the height from which the apple is dropped, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). However, this calculation assumes no air resistance and may not be accurate in real-world scenarios.