Ti 89 Graphing Help: Fixing "Not an Algebraic Expression" Error

In summary, the "Not an Algebraic Expression" error on a TI-89 graphing calculator occurs when the input given is not a valid algebraic expression. This can be caused by missing parentheses, incorrect use of operators, or using unsupported functions. To fix the error, check for any mistakes in the expression and make sure to use the correct syntax. It is important to consult the calculator's manual for the proper syntax and supported functions. To prevent this error, always use the correct syntax, check for mistakes, and avoid using unsupported functions or values instead of variables.
whitneysit
So I have a project due tomorrow and I really need to use a caculator and Mine won't work right.

When insert
-1x/(x<o)/(x>-1)

It saids its not an algebraic expression how do I fix that.
I try it with an ti 84 and it worked.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried clearing your variables? Maybe try something other that x, such as y, z, t, or even xy (which is not the same as x*y).

I understand the frustration of encountering errors while working on a project. In this case, the "Not an Algebraic Expression" error on your TI 89 graphing calculator can be fixed by following a few steps.

Firstly, make sure that you have entered the expression correctly. It seems like there may be a typo in your expression as it is not clear what the "o" represents. Double-check the parentheses and make sure they are in the correct order.

If the expression is entered correctly and the error persists, try using the "Simplify" function on your calculator. This will help to simplify your expression and make it easier for the calculator to interpret.

If the error still persists, try using the "Factor" function to factorize the expression. This can also help in simplifying the expression and making it easier for the calculator to graph.

If none of these solutions work, it is possible that your calculator may need to be updated or reset. You can consult the user manual or reach out to the manufacturer for assistance with this.

Alternatively, you mentioned that the expression worked on a TI 84 calculator. You can try using the same expression on the TI 84 and then transferring the solution to your TI 89 calculator.

I hope these suggestions help you to fix the error and successfully complete your project. Remember to always double-check your expressions and use the available functions on your calculator to simplify and factorize them. Good luck!

Related to Ti 89 Graphing Help: Fixing "Not an Algebraic Expression" Error

What does "Not an Algebraic Expression" error mean?

The "Not an Algebraic Expression" error on a TI-89 graphing calculator means that the input given is not a valid algebraic expression. This could be due to missing parentheses, incorrect use of operators, or using a function that is not supported by the calculator.

How do I fix the "Not an Algebraic Expression" error?

To fix the error, check for any missing parentheses or incorrect use of operators in your expression. Make sure to use the correct syntax for the functions you are using. If the error persists, try breaking down the expression into smaller parts and entering them separately.

What are some common causes of the "Not an Algebraic Expression" error?

The most common causes of this error are missing parentheses, incorrect use of operators, and using unsupported functions. Another cause could be entering a value instead of a variable or using letters that are not recognized as variables by the calculator.

Can I use any algebraic expression on a TI-89 calculator?

No, the TI-89 calculator has a specific syntax for algebraic expressions that must be followed in order for the calculator to interpret the expression correctly. Make sure to consult the calculator's manual for the proper syntax and supported functions.

Is there a way to prevent the "Not an Algebraic Expression" error?

To prevent this error, make sure to always use the correct syntax for algebraic expressions on your TI-89 calculator. Double check for any missing parentheses or incorrect use of operators. Also, avoid using unsupported functions or entering values instead of variables.