TI-83 Troubleshooting: Graphing Polar Equations in Degrees & Radians

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with their TI-83 calculator which is giving incorrect graphs for polar equations. They mention trying to change the mode from degrees to radians but the issue persists. They ask for assistance and mention that they have been using the calculator for years without issue but have never graphed polar equations before. After flagging down someone more experienced, the issue is resolved.
Andromeda321
Anyone know enough about TI-83s to help me out? For some reason whenever I try to graph a polar equation on mine it gives me what the graph should look like for radians when degrees is the mode of choice and vice versa. For example, if I were to graph sin(theta) I get a nice pretty circle when the mode is in degrees but when radians is selected it gives me a psychotic bunch of lines sort of going around a circle (despite this when I hit trace in the degree mode it'll give every angle in degrees for what's the radian picture). Can someone help me out on this? Because I'd really like to figure out what's with it ASAP, none of my friends are sure... :bugeye:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Check the size of your "window". Graphing in polar coord mode, that will include a "step" on theta that does not change if you change from degrees to radians.

I just tried that: I had a theta step of 1 (degree) and got a good picture. I changed into radian mode and the step stayed at "1" but now that was 1 radian- so my picture consisted of lines connecting (cos(n), sin(n)) for n= 1 to 360 RADIANS!

Hmmm I still don't like the look of it... unless you're supposed to get many many little triangles that eventually form a great black swarth versus a simple line... a few people have said maybe there's some wire crossed accidentally but I've used it for years and never had problems, but then I've never graphed polar stuff either. :confused:

Update: I flagged down someone more experienced than I at calculator nuances and the problem got fixed after a few minutes of rapid button pressing. Yay!

Related to TI-83 Troubleshooting: Graphing Polar Equations in Degrees & Radians

1. How do I switch between degrees and radians on the TI-83 calculator?

To switch between degrees and radians on the TI-83 calculator, press the "MODE" button and use the arrow keys to select either "RADIAN" or "DEGREE" mode. Press "ENTER" to confirm your selection.

2. Why am I getting an error message when I try to graph a polar equation on my TI-83 calculator?

The most common reason for an error message when graphing polar equations on the TI-83 calculator is that the "θ" variable is not entered correctly. Make sure you are using the "θ" button (found under the "MATH" menu) instead of the "X" or "Y" buttons when entering your equation.

3. How do I adjust the window settings for graphing polar equations on the TI-83 calculator?

To adjust the window settings for graphing polar equations on the TI-83 calculator, press the "WINDOW" button and use the arrow keys to change the values for "Xmin", "Xmax", "Ymin", and "Ymax". Make sure to include a large enough range for both the "θ" and "r" values in your equation.

4. Can I use the trace feature when graphing polar equations on the TI-83 calculator?

Yes, the trace feature can be used when graphing polar equations on the TI-83 calculator. Press the "TRACE" button and use the arrow keys to move along the graph and see the corresponding "θ" and "r" values at each point.

5. How do I graph multiple polar equations on the same graph on the TI-83 calculator?

To graph multiple polar equations on the same graph on the TI-83 calculator, enter each equation into the "Y=" editor and press "GRAPH". Each equation will appear as a different color on the graph. You can also adjust the settings for each equation by pressing the "WINDOW" button and selecting the equation you want to edit.