TI-83 Problem: Finding the Domain of a Secant Graph

In summary, the conversation is about finding the domain of the function y= 2 sec(-2x + 90deg) + 3. The student is having trouble determining where the vertical asymptotes are and asks for help. After some discussion, they realize that the secant function is undefined where the cosine function is 0, which occurs when x is an odd multiple of 90. They then discuss how to solve for x and find the vertical asymptotes. The student later inputs the function y= 2 (1/cos (-2x + 180deg)) + 3 into the TI-83 and finds that it also shows vertical asymptotes.
Sabellic
TI-83 problem...Secant Graphs

Homework Statement

What are the properties of:
y= 2 sec(-2x + 90deg) + 3

Homework Equations

sec (x) = (1/cos (x))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a problem with finding the Domain of y= 2 sec(-2x + 180deg) + 3.

First of all, I have to put the equation in a neater form:

y= 2 [sec -2(x - 90deg)] + 3

Now, if I want to find the domain, I need to find what sec CAN'T equal. That is the vertical asymptotes. Now asymptotes can be found where the graph of the inverse of sec (which is cos) crossed the x-axis.

So therefore I look at the corresponding cos function:
y= 2 [cos -2(x - 90deg)] + 3

But the problem is: this cos function does NOT cross the x-axis. If it does not cross the x-axis then how can any vertical asymptotes appear?

I later typed in "y= 2 (1/cos (-2x + 180deg)) + 3" into the TI-83. But it DID show vertical asymptotes. Does anyone know where these asymptotes came from?

Physics news on Phys.org

Sabellic said:

Homework Statement

What are the properties of:
y= 2 sec(-2x + 90deg) + 3

Homework Equations

sec (x) = (1/cos (x))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a problem with finding the Domain of y= 2 sec(-2x + 180deg) + 3.

First of all, I have to put the equation in a neater form:

y= 2 [sec -2(x - 90deg)] + 3

Now, if I want to find the domain, I need to find what sec CAN'T equal.
Do you mean RANGE rather than domain here?

That is the vertical asymptotes. Now asymptotes can be found where the graph of the inverse of sec (which is cos) crossed the x-axis.

So therefore I look at the corresponding cos function:
y= 2 [cos -2(x - 90deg)] + 3
No. You are not concerned about where this function "crosses the x-axis". The secant is undefined where cosine itself is 0. cos(x) is 0 when x is an odd multiple of 90: x= (2n+1)90 for n any integer. Here you want [itex]-2(x- 90)= (2n+1)90[/itex]. Solve that for x.

But the problem is: this cos function does NOT cross the x-axis. If it does not cross the x-axis then how can any vertical asymptotes appear?

I later typed in "y= 2 (1/cos (-2x + 180deg)) + 3" into the TI-83. But it DID show vertical asymptotes. Does anyone know where these asymptotes came from?

You know, that's starting to make sense. I will try this.

Thank you, HallsofIvy!

Related to TI-83 Problem: Finding the Domain of a Secant Graph

What is a TI-83 calculator?

A TI-83 calculator is a graphing calculator designed and manufactured by Texas Instruments. It is commonly used in high school and college mathematics courses to graph equations, perform calculations, and solve problems.

How do I graph a secant function on a TI-83 calculator?

To graph a secant function on a TI-83 calculator, first press the Y= button and enter the equation using the X and T buttons. Then, press the GRAPH button to view the graph. You can adjust the window settings to change the scale and view of the graph.

Can I find the x-intercepts of a secant graph on a TI-83 calculator?

Yes, you can find the x-intercepts of a secant graph on a TI-83 calculator by pressing the 2nd button and then the CALC button. Select the "zero" option and then use the arrow keys to move the cursor to the left and right of the x-intercept to find its approximate value.

How do I use the trace function to find points on a secant graph on a TI-83 calculator?

To use the trace function on a TI-83 calculator, press the TRACE button and then use the arrow keys to move the cursor along the graph. The coordinates of the cursor will be displayed on the screen. You can also press the ENTER button to view the coordinates of specific points on the graph.

Can I save and transfer secant graph data from a TI-83 calculator to a computer?

Yes, you can save and transfer secant graph data from a TI-83 calculator to a computer using a USB cable and TI Connect software. You can also use the graphing calculator's built-in data transfer function to send the data to another calculator. This can be useful for further analysis or sharing data with others.