Threshold temperature { Failure of delong petit law}

In summary: I understand, is that I should find the amplitude of the vibration at the specific temperature I am looking for, and then divide it by the distance between the atoms at that temperature. So, if I am looking for the amplitude at 161K, how should I go about finding it?
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

Hi all, I have been trying to go over this problem for sometime now.. yes I have easily browsed over +200 articles, lectures , etc on google.

The question is related to delong petit law and wants me to find out the temperature at which it fails i.e when quantum effects prevail ( In this it's aluminium).

Homework Equations

Aluminum = 27g/mol

The Attempt at a Solution

At higher temperature specific heat of solids is roughly ~3R but all this changes of course with drop in temperature , Cv tends to -> 0.

Now I have made few assumptions and have ended up with two values of temperature one is 161kelvin and other being about 50k which I are probably too high. Anyways...

From what I know is that as temperature drops so does the no. of degrees of freedom.
According to equipartition at room temperature we get 3RT but it's my intuitive feeling that at lower temperatures D of freedom is 2 ( due to vibration ? )
So over all energy is = KbT , another variation of it can be :
Δ E = hω.

Now here is one of my attempt.
Δ E = hω
KbT = hω

T = hω / kb (i)

w = 1/2pi * {square root of k/m}
w = 3.36*10^12 Hz plug this int eq. (i)
T = hw/kb
T = ~161kelvin...
On the previous part spring constant 'k' was given as 20 N/m however I am not sure if I am meant to use it for this question since in the previous bit temperature was '300k'.My other approach was to use: 24.9 > dE/dt
24.9 > KbT/ (t-300)

P.S: I have not slept through the night it's 9 am now, feedback of any kind will be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dulong-Petit's law is valid for kBT>>[itex]\hbar[/itex]ω where ω is the angular frequency defined by ω=sqrt(k/m).

As the atoms of a crystal can only move about their equilibrium positions, all possible 3N motions of the N atoms in the crystal are coupled vibrations - waves with frequency from 0 to the 2ω0 and energy [itex]\hbar[/itex]ω. See:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonon
The higher-energy lattice modes are not excited at law temperatures. The equipartition principle -that all vibrations have kTB energy is not valid for T<[itex]\hbar[/itex]ω/ kB, so Dulong-Petit's law fails.

What was given in the problem? Was it the fundamental frequency of the lattice mode or the spring constant?

ehild

ehild said:
Dulong-Petit's law is valid for kBT>>[itex]\hbar[/itex]ω where ω is the angular frequency defined by ω=sqrt(k/m).

As the atoms of a crystal can only move about their equilibrium positions, all possible 3N motions of the N atoms in the crystal are coupled vibrations - waves with frequency from 0 to the 2ω0 and energy [itex]\hbar[/itex]ω. See:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonon
The higher-energy lattice modes are not excited at law temperatures. The equipartition principle -that all vibrations have kTB energy is not valid for T<[itex]\hbar[/itex]ω/ kB, so Dulong-Petit's law fails.

What was given in the problem? Was it the fundamental frequency of the lattice mode or the spring constant?

ehild
Let me post the whole question.
An atom i lies in a chain of atoms, between two neighbouring atoms j
and k. Assume, for simplicity, that j and k can be regarded as fixed, while atom i
vibrates.
(i) Assuming that equipartition holds, show that the root mean square amplitude of
vibration xrms at temperature T of the atom is B k T
D
, where D is the spring constant
of an isolated pair of atoms.
(ii) In aluminium (atomic weight 27 gm/mole), what percentage of the mean
interatomic separation (0.29 nm) is xrms at 300K. Assume D= 20 Nm-1.
(iii) A three dimensional solid can be modeled of as a network of atoms, which can
now move in three dimensions. What is the resulting molar heat capacity at high
temperatures? [This is the Dulong-Petit law].
(iv) Estimate, in the case of aluminium, the temperature at which you expect to see
deviations from this result, due to quantum effects (characteristic energy D E = homework ),
on cooling the sample. Explain why this occurs.

Last edited:
You can consider the spring constant unchanged with temperature.

ehild

ehild said:
You can consider the spring constant unchanged with temperature.

ehild

Last edited:
Your result is about correct. The spring constant depends slightly with temperature, as the mean interatomic distance changes. But you do not need to take it into account and you can not as no details were given.

ehild

ehild said:
Your result is about correct. The spring constant depends slightly with temperature, as the mean interatomic distance changes. But you do not need to take it into account and you can not as no details were given.

ehild

I see. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it ( wish I could do anything in return, feel guilty)but there's another part which I don't seem to understand. For part ii) where the question asks me to find the % of the root mean square amplitude relative to inter atomic distance. Now I assume what the question wants me to find is the inter atomic distance 'r' which I could get by letting : 1/2kx^2 = P.E
where x = (r-r0).

Sorry a repost

Last edited:
ibysaiyan said:
For part ii) where the question asks me to find the % of the root mean square amplitude relative to inter atomic distance.
Read the problem text:
In aluminium (atomic weight 27 gm/mole), what percentage of the mean
interatomic separation (0.29 nm) is xrms at 300K.
Find the mean-square amplitude of the vibration at 300 K.

ehild

ehild said:
Read the problem text:

Find the mean-square amplitude of the vibration at 300 K.

ehild

I did that but I wasn't sure. Now that you have assured me.. it does make sense.. they did say 'mean' which would obviously be the amplitude on a graph. Thanks for all your help!

The atoms are vibrating so the interatomic distance changes. Till the vibration is SHM the mean separation is r0.
Determine the rms amplitude of the vibration, equal to A/sqrt(2). You get it from the energy of the oscillator. ehild

Related to Threshold temperature { Failure of delong petit law}

1. What is the threshold temperature for the failure of Delong-Petit law?

The threshold temperature for the failure of Delong-Petit law varies depending on the material being tested. However, it is generally defined as the temperature at which the material undergoes a significant change in behavior, such as plastic deformation or fracture.

2. How is the threshold temperature determined for Delong-Petit law?

The threshold temperature for Delong-Petit law is typically determined through various experimental techniques, such as tensile testing or impact testing. The temperature at which the material exhibits a significant change in behavior is then identified as the threshold temperature.

3. What factors can affect the threshold temperature for Delong-Petit law?

The threshold temperature for Delong-Petit law can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of material, its microstructure, the loading conditions, and the presence of impurities or defects. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to chemicals can also impact the threshold temperature.

4. How does the failure of Delong-Petit law affect material properties?

The failure of Delong-Petit law can significantly alter the material's mechanical properties, such as its strength, toughness, and ductility. This can lead to reduced performance and potential safety hazards, making it important to understand and characterize the threshold temperature for different materials.

5. Can the threshold temperature for Delong-Petit law be predicted?

While it is not possible to accurately predict the exact threshold temperature for Delong-Petit law, it can be estimated through various models and simulations. These predictions can provide valuable insights into the behavior of materials under different conditions and aid in the design and selection of materials for specific applications.