Three types of non-circular orbits

• Thread starter preluderacer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbits
In summary, the three types of non-circular orbits in order of increasing total energy are ellipse, parabola, and hyperbola. The picture in the textbook supports this ordering.
preluderacer

Homework Statement

Rank the three types of non-circular orbits in order of increasing total energy (kinetic plus potential):

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on the picture I am looking at it seems. In increasing order it looks like ellipse , parabola , then hyperbola, but I am not 100 percent sure. Can someone confirm or deny this?

Physics news on Phys.org
umm, can i have the picture..

The picture is in my textbook.

you could snap a picture and upload it.

preluderacer said:
Rank the three types of non-circular orbits in order of increasing total energy (kinetic plus potential):
In increasing order it looks like ellipse , parabola , then hyperbola, but I am not 100 percent sure. Can someone confirm or deny this?

That is correct.

Related to Three types of non-circular orbits

1. What are the three types of non-circular orbits?

The three types of non-circular orbits are elliptical, parabolic, and hyperbolic. Each of these orbits has a different shape and path around the central body.

2. How are these orbits different from a circular orbit?

In a circular orbit, the distance between the orbiting object and the central body remains constant. In non-circular orbits, the distance changes throughout the orbit, resulting in a different shape and path.

3. What determines the type of non-circular orbit an object will have?

The type of non-circular orbit an object has is determined by its velocity and the gravitational force of the central body. Objects with higher velocities and/or less gravitational force will have more elliptical or hyperbolic orbits, while objects with lower velocities and/or more gravitational force will have more parabolic or circular orbits.

4. Can objects in non-circular orbits eventually transition into a circular orbit?

Yes, objects in non-circular orbits can transition into a circular orbit if they experience a change in velocity or gravitational force. This can happen through external forces, such as the gravitational pull of other objects, or through internal forces, such as propulsion systems on the orbiting object.

5. What are some real-life examples of objects in non-circular orbits?

Satellites, comets, and some planets have non-circular orbits around their central bodies. For example, comets have highly elliptical orbits around the sun, and some satellites have parabolic or hyperbolic orbits around the Earth.