Three Phase Troubleshooting: Calculating Voltage & Current

In summary, the conversation is about a question on a 3 phase power system with a balanced delta connected load. The voltage is given as 400v @Hz and the goal is to calculate the phase voltage and current using the voltage Vr as the reference. The calculation leads to answers with +/- 120 degrees, but the angle is 30 degrees off. The question is if this is a correct assumption due to the difference between line current and phase current.
robcowlam
Hi guys,
Im having some trouble with a question about 3 phase power system. I have a balanced delta connected load of 30+18.86j ohms. The voltage is given as 400v @Hz and I am asked to calculate the phase voltage and current using the voltage Vr as the reference.

Now from my knowledge of 3 phase I understand that with this type of load the line and phase voltage are the same (400v) with each phase 120deg lagging from the previous.

Z= 30+18.86j = 35.43 @ 32.14degrees
This leads me to do the calculation:
I = V/Z = (400 @ 0 degrees)/35.43 @ 32.14degrees = 11.29 @ -32.14 degrees.
Repeating this for the other 2 phases gives answers with +/- 120degrees

The magnitude is correct however the angle is 30 degrees out and I cannot see why, the only thing I can think of is that the line voltage is 30degrees out of phase with the phase voltage which I am using as the reference.

Does anyone have any idea if this might be a correct assumption?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a difference in line current and phase current. What is your target variable?

Related to Three Phase Troubleshooting: Calculating Voltage & Current

1. What is three phase troubleshooting?

Three phase troubleshooting is the process of identifying and solving problems related to the flow of electricity in a three-phase power system. This includes calculating voltage and current to determine if there are any imbalances or issues with the power supply.

2. How do you calculate voltage and current in a three-phase system?

To calculate voltage in a three-phase system, you can use the formula V = √3 x I x R, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is the resistance of the circuit. To calculate current, use the formula I = V / (√3 x R). It is important to note that these calculations assume a balanced three-phase system.

3. What are the common causes of voltage and current imbalances in a three-phase system?

There are several possible causes of voltage and current imbalances in a three-phase system. These include unequal loads on each phase, faulty or damaged equipment, loose connections, and power supply issues. It is important to troubleshoot and address these imbalances as they can lead to equipment damage and power outages.

4. How can I identify if there is an issue with a specific phase in a three-phase system?

To identify if there is an issue with a specific phase in a three-phase system, you can measure the voltage and current for each phase using a multimeter. If there is a significant difference in voltage or current between phases, it may indicate an issue with that particular phase.

5. What are the steps for troubleshooting a three-phase system?

The first step in troubleshooting a three-phase system is to gather information and identify the problem. This may involve measuring voltage and current, checking connections, and inspecting equipment. Next, you should isolate the issue to a specific phase or component. Finally, you can use the calculated voltage and current data to determine the cause of the problem and take appropriate actions to resolve it.