Three-Phase System: RMS Phase Voltage Magnitude 230V, Zg=5+j5, 30+j30 Loads

In summary, the problem involves a balanced three phase star source with an RMS phase voltage magnitude of 230V and an impedance of Zg=5+j5. The per-phase impedance value of the three phase balanced star and delta connected loads are 30+j30. The task is to determine the line and phase voltages and currents at the star and delta connected loads. To solve this problem, it is necessary to convert the delta load to a Y load and use a per phase analysis.
noobie!

Homework Statement

consider the balanced three phase star source with RMS phase voltage magnitude of 230V shown in fig5 with an impedance of Zg=5+j5.The per-phase impedance value of a three phase balanced star and delta connected loads are 30+j30.
a)Determine the line and phase voltages and currents at the star and delta connected loads

Homework Equations

don't have any,sorry~

The Attempt at a Solution

i totally got no idea where to begin with,can someone please guide me??thanks~

Physics news on Phys.org
noobie! said:

Homework Statement

consider the balanced three phase star source with RMS phase voltage magnitude of 230V shown in fig5 with an impedance of Zg=5+j5.The per-phase impedance value of a three phase balanced star and delta connected loads are 30+j30.
a)Determine the line and phase voltages and currents at the star and delta connected loads

Homework Equations

don't have any,sorry~

The Attempt at a Solution

i totally got no idea where to begin with,can someone please guide me??thanks~

From my standpoint, it looks like you know nothing about three phase power since you've shown no work. It's a little hard to write out a whole chapters worth of theory on three phase power to prepare you for this problem.

To do this problem, I would convert the delta load to a Y load, and use a per phase analysis.
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/4961/42710974.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Three-Phase System: RMS Phase Voltage Magnitude 230V, Zg=5+j5, 30+j30 Loads

1. What is a three-phase system?

A three-phase system is a type of electrical power distribution system that uses three alternating currents with the same frequency but with a phase difference of 120 degrees. This type of system is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings due to its efficiency and stability.

2. What does "RMS Phase Voltage Magnitude 230V" mean?

RMS (Root Mean Square) phase voltage magnitude refers to the effective voltage of one phase in a three-phase system. In this case, it is 230V, which is the voltage that would produce the same amount of power as a DC voltage of 230V. This is the typical voltage used in residential and commercial electrical systems.

3. What is the meaning of "Zg=5+j5" in this context?

In this context, "Zg" refers to the complex impedance of the three-phase system. The term "j" represents the imaginary unit, which is used to represent the phase difference between the voltage and current. The value of 5+j5 indicates that the impedance has a magnitude of 5 ohms and an angle of 45 degrees.

4. What does "30+j30" represent in "30+j30 Loads"?

In this case, "30+j30" represents the complex impedance of the loads connected to the three-phase system. Just like "Zg=5+j5", the value of 30+j30 indicates an impedance of 30 ohms with an angle of 45 degrees.

5. How do you calculate the total power in a three-phase system with these parameters?

The total power in a three-phase system can be calculated by finding the sum of the power in each phase. To calculate the power in each phase, you can use the formula P = V^2/R, where V is the RMS phase voltage and R is the magnitude of the impedance. Then, the total power can be found by adding the powers in each phase together.