Three charges/electric field problem

• Thread starter FlipStyle1308
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the problem is to find the magnitude of the electric field at a point halfway between the charges q1 and q2. The first part of the problem uses the distance formula from mat to find the magnitude of the electric field. The second part of the problem is to find the components of the electric field along the axes.
FlipStyle1308
Here is the problem which I need to solve:

The following picture shows a system consisting of three charges, q1 = +4.07 μC, q2 = +4.07 μC, and q3 = -4.07 μC, at the vertices of an equilateral triangle of side d = 2.29 cm. Find the magnitude of the electric field at a point halfway between the charges q1 and q2. Also find the magnitude of the electric field at the point halfway between the charges q2 and q3.

19-32.gif

I am not too sure on how to solve this, so a little help would be good. Nothing is listed in my textbook about how to approach this. I was thinking of using the distance formula from mat, but I don't know how to incorporate the charges into the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your own work. You must at least know some equations you think are related to this problem?

For the first part of the problem, I used F21 = (k lq1l lq2l)/r^2, and got 2.8397 x 10^26N. How do I change this to get my answer into N/C?

Or was I supposed to use E= k(lql/r^2)? If so, how do I solve with this equation?

Last edited:
FlipStyle1308 said:
Or was I supposed to use E= k(lql/r^2)? If so, how do I solve with this equation?
That's correct. Well, almost. That's the magnitude of the elctric field due to one charge q. The question asks you to find the field due to three charges. So you solve them vectorially, and then find the magnitude of the resultant.

Is this the correct equation:
elefie2.gif

Still, that's just the magnitude. Go the 'Multiple Point Charges' section in the link I provided.

Okay, so I use
epoint3.gif
. I still do not know how to incorporate the problem into the equation.

I do know how to calculate components along axes, but I don't know how to incorporate the sides of the equilateral triangle into the problem. Since the distance between two points is given (one side of the equilateral triangle), shouldn't that mean I don't have to find x and y components?

FlipStyle1308 said:
Since the distance between two points is given (one side of the equilateral triangle), shouldn't that mean I don't have to find x and y components?
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The question asks for the field at the midpoints of the line q1q2 and q1q3. These points are not the at same distance away from all the charges.

Okay, I know, but I'm just confused on how to set this up. Would you be able to give me a starting equation (with values), and then I can try to work my way from there?

[tex]E_1_x = k\frac{q_1}{(d/2)^2}\cos60[/tex]
[tex]E_1_y = k\frac{q_1}{(d/2)^2}\sin60
[/tex]

For the first problem, those are the components of the field due to the first charge, q1. Do keep in mind that signs of the charges play an important role.

Okay, thanks. So I found E1x = 139,544,631.1N/C and E1y = 241,698,391N/C, so E1net = 279,087,799.8N/C. Is this correct? What about for E2?

Last edited:
You don't find E1net. Add the x components of all the fields (with the sign), and then y components, seperately. This will give you components of the resultant field. Then find the magnitude. For reference, have a look at the diagrams in that link.

What about for E2?
You've got to find it out. :)

I kinda worked ahead while waiting for your response, and I realized I don't need E1net. For E2x should my answer be the same as E1y and my answer for E2y should be the same as E1x?

Nope. What do you think would happen to the field at a point midway between two equal charges?

Would it balance out to zero?

Exactly. Now, what does that tell you about E2's components?

E2x = -E1y and E2y = -E1x? Is that right? Do I need to calculate anything for E3?

FlipStyle1308 said:
E2x = -E1y and E2y = -E1x? Is that right?
No. That wouldn't add up to a zero vector, would it?
Do I need to calculate anything for E3?
Yes, for the first problem, the resultant field is the same as the field due to E3 alone.

Btw, I've got a big download ahead of me now, and browsing will slow down. I'm sure the others will be able help you in case you have any questions. Try doing the second problem on the same principles. Good luck.

Okay, thanks for your help! Is anyone able to help me find E3 (x and y components)? I pretty much just need the equation set up for E3, and then I'll be able to solve the whole problem (I hope).

Last edited:

Related to Three charges/electric field problem

1. What is the electric field strength at a point due to three charges?

The electric field strength at a point is the force experienced by a unit positive charge placed at that point. It is calculated by taking into account the distance and magnitude of the charges using Coulomb's law.

2. How do I determine the direction of the electric field at a point due to three charges?

The direction of the electric field at a point is determined by the direction of the force experienced by a positive test charge placed at that point. The direction of the force is along the line connecting the two charges and is either towards or away from the charge depending on its polarity.

3. What is the net electric field at a point due to three charges?

The net electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields due to the three charges. It can be calculated by adding the x-components and y-components of the electric fields using vector addition.

4. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force that a charge would experience at a given point in an electric field. Electric potential, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy per unit charge at a given point. In other words, electric potential is the measure of the potential energy of a charge at a point in an electric field.

5. How can I use the electric field to determine the force on a charge in a three charge system?

The electric field strength at a point can be used to determine the force on a charge placed at that point by using the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge, and E is the electric field strength. By calculating the electric field at different points, the force on the charge can be determined at each point and added together to find the total force on the charge in the three charge system.