Three blocks Newtons law help have I got my answers and sign correct ?

In summary: So, the net horizontal force on B would be 7.7N to the right, and the forces due to A and C would be -15.4N and -7.7N, respectively.
aruji73
Three blocks, each of mass 7.0 kg are on a frictionless table. A hand pushes on the left most box (A) such that the three boxes accelerate in the positive horizontal direction as shown at a rate of a = 1.1 m/s2.

What is the net horizontal force on block B? =15.4 N
What is the horizontal force on block B due to block C?= -7.7N

Attachments

• ThreeBlocks.png
    ThreeBlocks.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
aruji73 said:
What is the net horizontal force on block B? =15.4 N
Careful. They want the net force, not the force that A exerts on B.
What is the horizontal force on block B due to block C?= -7.7N
Good, but just say 7.7 N. (Block C exerts a force of 7.7 N on Block B--and vice versa.)

wouldnt it be -7.7 because of negative direction

so is the horizontal force on block B 7.7 ?

aruji73 said:
wouldnt it be -7.7 because of negative direction
Just give the magnitude of the force.

so is the horizontal force on block B 7.7 ?
Yes, that's the net horizontal force on B.

in the same problem i had a question
What is the horizontal force on block A due to block B?
i got -15.4 and I got it right
so how come that one can be -15.4 and this one is just 7.7

Each of the three must have a net force of +7.7N. The "horizontal force on block A due to block B" is somewhat ambiguous, but it seems they mean the actual force exerted by B on A. As far as A is concerned it is pushing B and C, so the force between A and B must be enough to accelerate both B and C at 1.1m/s2.

aruji73 said:
in the same problem i had a question
What is the horizontal force on block A due to block B?
i got -15.4 and I got it right
OK. So apparently they want you to include the direction (via the sign), and they are taking positive to mean 'to the right'.
so how come that one can be -15.4 and this one is just 7.7
I assume you are talking about "What is the horizontal force on block B due to block C?". Using the same convention as above, that force would have to be negative as well.

Related to Three blocks Newtons law help have I got my answers and sign correct ?

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's three laws of motion are:
1. An object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will stay in motion with a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.
2. Force is equal to mass times acceleration.
3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws apply to three blocks stacked on top of each other?

In this scenario, the first block at the bottom will exert a force on the second block, causing it to accelerate. The second block will then exert a force on the third block, causing it to accelerate as well. This follows Newton's second law, stating that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

3. How can I tell if my answers and signs for Newton's laws are correct?

To check if your answers and signs are correct, you can use the equations for each law to calculate the forces and accelerations in your scenario. Make sure to take into account the correct direction of the forces and accelerations, as indicated by the signs.

4. Can you give an example of Newton's third law in action?

An example of Newton's third law is a person standing on a skateboard. As the person pushes their foot against the ground, the ground exerts an equal and opposite force on the skateboard, causing it to accelerate forward.

5. How do Newton's laws of motion relate to real-world situations?

Newton's laws of motion are applicable to all objects and their motions in the universe. They are used in a variety of real-world situations, such as understanding the movement of cars and airplanes, predicting the behavior of sports equipment, and even explaining the orbits of planets around the sun.