Thread about Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics 3rd edition

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about derivations in a textbook and solutions to exercises. The discussion covers topics such as the Taylor expansion with the Laplacian, the disappearance of terms with first order derivatives, an explicit calculation, and the use of Green's first identity in deriving the volume integral of ##\nabla^2(1/r)##. The conversation also includes clarifications and explanations from various users.
I have a question regarding problem 5.5 from Jackson's third edition.

Do I actually need to post it (I mean I assume that you have a legal or illegal copy of the book).

I've found a solution to problem 5.5 from here:
http://pages.uoregon.edu/gbarello/Resources/Papers/Homework/Electrodynamics/HW4.pdf
on page 8 the solution to assignment 5.5b, the last solution has the wrong coefficients, so I wonder where did he go wrong there?

Thanks, jesus and out... :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Does someone know if some of the problems in Jackson's third edition can be found in reference books?

There are some problems about superconducting material which I thought may be found in Tinkham's reference.

vanhees71 said:
Admittedly the calculation is a bit confusing, because of the shorthand notation used by Jackson. Calculated is the volume integral

For ##n \geq 2## I cannot verify generally Jackson's result, but all you need is to show that the integral is 0 for ##a \rightarrow 0##. Now introduce again spherical coordinates, and you see that all these integrals are proportional to
$$3 a^2 \int_0^R \mathrm{d} r \frac{r^{n+2}}{(r^2+a^2)^{5/2}}=3a^2 I_n.$$
[corrected in view of the hint in #7]
For ##n=2## we get
$$I_2=\int_0^R \mathrm{d} r \frac{r^{4}}{(r^2+a^2)^{5/2}}=\mathrm{arsinh} \left ( \frac{R}{a} \right )-\frac{4R^3+3ra^3}{4(R^2+a^2)^{3/2}}.$$
Obviously one has
$$\lim_{a \rightarrow 0} a^2 I_2=0.$$
I'm not very good in curvilinear coordinates, let me try to expand it in cartesian coordinates instead. I'm not sure whether the reasoning is correct though (note that odd components of ##\mathbf{h} = |\mathbf{x^{'}} - \mathbf{x}|## cancel)...
\begin{align*}
\rho(\mathbf{x}^{'}) & =\rho(\mathbf{x}) + \frac{1}{1!}\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial \mathbf{h}} +\frac{1}{2!}\frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial \mathbf{h}^2} + \cdots\\
&=\rho(\mathbf{x}) + (\mathbf{x^{'}} - \mathbf{x})\cdot\nabla \rho + (\sum_{i} (x^{'}_{i} - x_{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial e_{i}}))(\sum_{i} (x^{'}_{i} - x_{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial e_{i}}))\rho + \cdots\\
&=\rho(\mathbf{x}) + \frac{1}{2} ( (x^{'} -x)^2 \frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial x^2} + (y^{'} -y)^2 \frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial y ^2}+ (z^{'} - z)^2 \frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial z^2})+ \cdots\\
&=\rho(\mathbf{x}) + \frac{|\mathbf{x^{'}} - \mathbf{x}|^2}{6} ( \frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial y ^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial z^2})+ \cdots\\
&=\rho(\mathbf{x}) + \frac{r^2}{6}\nabla^2 \rho + \mathcal{O}(r^3)
\end{align*}
Since ##\rho## does not vary much in the volume of interest we may assume the function is spherically symmetric, we see that $$ (x^{'} -x)^2 \frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial x^2} \approx (y^{'} -y)^2 \frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial x^2}$$

and $$ 3 (x^{'} -x)^2 \frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial x^2} \approx |\mathbf{x^{'}} - \mathbf{x}|^2 \frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial x^2}$$

Right?...

By the way, judging by how seasoned the advice Jackson gives, how comprehensive the treatment is and the copious amounts of references given, I wonder, did Jackson actually read through all the books he cite? (or at least read a few chapter)