Thought experiment: Observation via Recording

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of consciousness in collapsing the wavefunction and the concept of measurement in quantum mechanics. The speaker explains that consciousness is not required for measurement and that the process of decoherence is responsible for collapsing the wavefunction. The thought experiment presented is not a new concept and is already commonly believed.
Vulpes vulpes
I'm just a physics dilettante, so if I make no sense, please forgive me.

Imagine any setup that creates macroscopic effects from quantum events. The setup is isolated from observation. Schrödinger's cat would work, but I happen to like cats so we'll just say a light either goes on or doesn't.

Now, inside the box, along with setup, is a camcorder, which will videotape whether the light goes on or doesn't. The experiment is run and the camcorder records the experiment. Without observing the light, the tape is removed and copied. The copies are moved apart a significant distance. Then, at the same time, each tape is watched by a person.

If observation by a consciousness is required to collapse the wavefunction, then, if they show the same thing like we would expect, how did the information (about whether or not the light went on) travel instantaneously between the two copies when the copies are observed simultaneously at a distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vulpes vulpes said:
If observation by a consciousness is required to collapse the wavefunction

No, it's not.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. Not requiring consciousness avoids the problem.

I was under the impression that the wavefunction collapses upon observation in some interpretations. Am I mistaken?

Measurement in quantum mechanics does not require the presence of a conscious being.

The "measurement" occurs when the quantum system under consideration interacts with the environment around it, undergoing a process known as decoherence, through which quantum effects are washed out leaving an effectively classical state as a result.

The point is that consciousness has nothing to do with measurement. The measurement occurred when the "quantum light bulb" interacted with the video camera (the video camera absorbed photons from the bulb). This caused decoherence and the video will show the light bulb in some classical state. Both copies of the video will show the same result.

There is a difference between a quantum superposition of states, and uncertainty about which classical state a system may be in. In this case, with the two unwatched videos, we have the latter.

So, what you're saying is, my thought experiment just illustrates what is already commonly believed.

Ah well. Kant said that genius is the ability to independently arrive at and understand concepts that would normally have to be taught by another person, so I'll take solace in that.

Vulpes vulpes said:
So, what you're saying is, my thought experiment just illustrates what is already commonly believed.

Yes, you find the stuff about "consciousness collapsing the wave function" only in some pop-sci books and in "fringe science" sources.

Related to Thought experiment: Observation via Recording

What is a thought experiment?

A thought experiment is a mental exercise or theoretical scenario used to explore and test ideas or concepts in a particular field of study, often in the absence of physical experimentation or data.

How does observation via recording work in a thought experiment?

In a thought experiment, observation via recording involves imagining a scenario where observations are made through the use of recording devices such as cameras, microphones, or other instruments. This allows for the study of phenomena or processes that may be difficult or impossible to directly observe in reality.

What are the benefits of using thought experiments for observation via recording?

Thought experiments allow scientists to explore and test ideas or concepts in a controlled and hypothetical environment. This can help to identify potential flaws or limitations in theories or hypotheses and can also lead to new insights and discoveries.

What are some limitations of using thought experiments for observation via recording?

One limitation of using thought experiments for observation via recording is that they are based on hypothetical scenarios and may not accurately reflect real-world situations. Additionally, thought experiments may not be able to account for all variables and can lead to biased or incomplete conclusions.

How can thought experiments for observation via recording be used in scientific research?

Thought experiments can be used in various ways in scientific research, such as testing the validity of theories or hypotheses, generating new ideas and insights, and identifying potential problems or limitations in current knowledge. They can also be used to explore ethical or moral considerations in scientific research.