Thomas and Finney Calc to prep for Kleppner and Purcell Physics

In summary, the conversation revolves around the best approach for getting ready to tackle physics problems that require heavy use of calculus. The individual has a calculus book from their undergraduate studies but wants to brush up on their skills. They plan on using MIT's online resources and focusing on problems to improve their understanding. The individual also mentions their initial goal of going through a university physics book and a modern physics book, but now wants to revisit mechanics and electromagnetism more deeply. They are advised to learn enough calculus so that every question looks familiar and are reminded that calculus is about relating rates of change to total change. They are also warned to have a strong foundation in calculus before diving into Purcell's book. The conversation ends with a recommendation to have fun
oneleaf
So I have been interested in trying to do some physics that require more heavy use of calculus. I plan on getting Kleppner's mechanics book as well as Purcells E&M book.

Having been out of school for so long, I need to brush up on my calculus, and I was wondering what the best approach would be for getting ready. I have Thomas and Finney 9th edition calculus book which I used during my undergraduate study 15 years ago.

Based on this calculus book, I was wondering how heavily I should dive into the problems. And which chapters I should stress more than others. I have gone through about a quarter of the book and doing about a dozen problems in each section, with the expectation that I will get more practice with these concepts when I tackle the Kleppner book.

I am also curious about if this calculus book is enough to really get into the physics books mentioned.

My initial goal was to get through Young and Freedman's University Physics book and then get a modern physics book. But now I am interested in really revisiting mechanics and electromagnetism more deeply. But I realize that tackling problems of this difficulty will need a bit more math prep work, I believe.

Any guidance on how best to efficiently get through the Calculus prep work would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would argue you should learn enough so that every question looks familiar. That is, so you can take any question and solve it given a fair amount of time. No problem should be so foreign that solving it requires more than a short period of thinking followed by routine.

As for the second question, I think that book is perfectly fine for learning calculus. I would supplement it with MIT's videos/resources http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/]here[/PLAIN] (and in the other versions of that course), if it helps.

About efficiency, focus on problems and how to solve them, that you give you good feedback as to when you know enough to move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Thanks. I have been trying to pick a good variety of problems in each section and seem to be doing pretty good so far. I will keep at it and look at the MIT OCW materials when I get a chance.

Is there any glaring area that this Calc book would not cover well enough to really tackle the aforementioned Physics books?

oneleaf said:
Thanks. I have been trying to pick a good variety of problems in each section and seem to be doing pretty good so far. I will keep at it and look at the MIT OCW materials when I get a chance.

Is there any glaring area that this Calc book would not cover well enough to really tackle the aforementioned Physics books?

It looks very comprehensive. If you remember that calculus is about relating rates of change to total change and applying this knowledge to questions about rates of change, be they physics questions or otherwise, any book that conveys that knowledge is good enough really. I would say this book if anything is more comprehensive than you strictly need. Chapter 8 for example (series, convergence) is not required and chapter 9 is really there to prepare you for the math in chapters 10-14.

I personally would focus on chapters 1-7, mastering those techniques, and chapters 10-14 I would leave till later, till you are refreshed and willing to learn what is more difficult than the earlier chapters. Chapters 8 and 9.1-9.3 are not required, and the rest of chapter 9 (polar coordinates) you could leave till later if you decide to do the polar stuff in one go. That I would actually recommend, focusing on rectangular coordinates in 10-14 if they become overwhelming.

Likes 1 person
Thanks verty, sounds like a good plan. I will likely work up through Ch 7 and then dive right into the Mechanics book. I think 10-14 will eventually be real important but I will get there when the time comes. I appreciate the response!

Keep in mind that you need to know calculus 3 before delving into Purcell. Purcell tries to cover the necessary calculus 3 in the text itself but in my opinion it's never good to learn math from a physics book.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the heads up! I will likely finish up the remaining Calc chapters before moving onto the Purcell.

Have fun with Kleppner! I can't emphasize just how awesome that book is; I had a great time going through it, more so than nearly every other physics book I've ever dedicated myself to.

Likes 1 person
WannabeNewton said:
Have fun with Kleppner! I can't emphasize just how awesome that book is; I had a great time going through it, more so than nearly every other physics book I've ever dedicated myself to.

That is great to hear! I did go through mechanics in my Physics course as well as a separate engineering mechanics course in the past. I was finding the questions in Young and Freedman uninteresting this time around so want a bit more challenge.

I have not picked up the book yet because the second edition is not released until end of year, but I do have it on preorder. Until then, I will be doing Calc and some problems from the Y&F book!

Related to Thomas and Finney Calc to prep for Kleppner and Purcell Physics

1. What is the main purpose of using Thomas and Finney Calculus to prepare for Kleppner and Purcell Physics?

The main purpose of using Thomas and Finney Calculus is to develop a strong foundation in calculus concepts and techniques that are essential for understanding and solving problems in physics. This preparation will help you better understand the mathematical aspects of physics and apply them effectively in real-world scenarios.

2. How does Thomas and Finney Calculus differ from other calculus textbooks?

Thomas and Finney Calculus is known for its clear and concise explanations, numerous examples and practice problems, and its focus on practical applications in physics. It also covers a wide range of topics, including vector calculus and multivariable calculus, which are particularly relevant to physics.

3. Can Thomas and Finney Calculus be used as a standalone resource for studying physics?

While Thomas and Finney Calculus does cover many topics relevant to physics, it is primarily a calculus textbook. It is recommended to use it as a supplement to a dedicated physics textbook, such as Kleppner and Purcell Physics, to fully understand the concepts and applications of calculus in physics.

4. Is prior knowledge of calculus required to study Thomas and Finney Calculus?

Yes, Thomas and Finney Calculus assumes a basic understanding of calculus concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and their applications. It is recommended to have completed at least one semester of calculus before studying this textbook.

5. What is the best way to use Thomas and Finney Calculus to prepare for Kleppner and Purcell Physics?

The best way to use Thomas and Finney Calculus to prepare for Kleppner and Purcell Physics is to work through the chapters systematically, making sure to understand the concepts and practice solving problems. It is also helpful to refer back to the textbook while studying physics to refresh your understanding of calculus concepts and techniques.