This should be a simple problem to solve but im just not getting it

• Thread starter mathrocks
  • Start date
In summary: I plugged in the values of A, B, C, D into the equation and I get 0=0.For the calculation of B I did: 10t^2-3Bt^2=4t^2 -> B=2For the calculation of C I did: 8t+20t-3Ct=0 -> C=28/3For the calculation of D I did: -8+140/3-3D=0 -> D=116/9
mathrocks
I'm given an equation to solve and I need to use the "method of undetermined coefficients" all I need to find is A,B,C,D I'm not given any initial values so I can't solve the entire thing. This is what I have but I'm not sure if it's correct or not. Thanks for any help...

Equation: 2y''+5y'-3y=-2t^3+4t^2

My work:
2r^2+5r-3=0
r=1/2, r=-3
Yh=C1e^(1/2t) + C2e^(-3t)

Assume Yp=(At^3+Bt^2+Ct+D)

yp'=3At^2-2Bt+C
yp''=6At-2B

plugging the derivatives into the original equation I get: 12At-4B+15At^2-10Bt+5C-3At^3-3Bt^2-3Ct-3D=-2t^3+4t^2

Solving for A I get: -3At^3=-2t^3 -> A=2/3

Solving for B I get: 10t^2-3Bt^2=4t^2 -> B=2 ?

Solving for C I get: 8t-20t-3Ct=0 -> C=-4 ?

Solving for D I get:-8-20-3D=0 -> D=-28/3 ?

The "?" are the ones I don't know are right. I'm pretty sure the value for A is right though. Also, I plugged in the values for A, B, C, D into the equation as I solved for them, incase you were wondering where some of the numbers came from...

I really need help with this, so anything you can do will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Assume Yp=(At^3+Bt^2+Ct+D)

yp'=3At^2-2Bt+C
yp''=6At-2B

plugging the derivatives into the original equation I get: 12At-4B+15At^2-10Bt+5C-3At^3-3Bt^2-3Ct-3D=-2t^3+4t^2"
Why -2Bt? it should be +2Bt
Once you've done this, enter these expressions into your rleft-hand side; gather together EVERY t^3 term, t^2-term and so on.
Only then set them equal to the corresponding terms on your right-hand side

arildno said:
"Assume Yp=(At^3+Bt^2+Ct+D)

yp'=3At^2-2Bt+C
yp''=6At-2B

plugging the derivatives into the original equation I get: 12At-4B+15At^2-10Bt+5C-3At^3-3Bt^2-3Ct-3D=-2t^3+4t^2"
Why -2Bt? it should be +2Bt
Once you've done this, enter these expressions into your rleft-hand side; gather together EVERY t^3 term, t^2-term and so on.
Only then set them equal to the corresponding terms on your right-hand side

Awesome, thanks alot. Did you get D=116/9?..if you worked it out.

I didn't.
Frankly, I'm a bit dubious about how you proceeded further on; could you post your calculations of the coefficients?
(Or alternatively, check that your "solution" actually IS a solution of your diff.eq.)

arildno said:
I didn't.
Frankly, I'm a bit dubious about how you proceeded further on; could you post your calculations of the coefficients?
(Or alternatively, check that your "solution" actually IS a solution of your diff.eq.)

I plugged in the values of A, B, C, D into the equation and I get 0=0.

For the calculation of B I did: 10t^2-3Bt^2=4t^2 -> B=2
For the calculation of C I did: 8t+20t-3Ct=0 -> C=28/3
For the calculation of D I did: -8+140/3-3D=0 -> D=116/9

The mistake you pointed out earlier about +2Bt only affected the answers for C and D.

Ok, I didn't read what you wrote carefully enough..:redface:

Assume Yp=(At^3+Bt^2+Ct+D)

yp'=3At^2-2Bt+C
yp''=6At-2B

I think there's a fairly obvious mistake here! How did the coefficient of B get to be negative in these last two?

Related to This should be a simple problem to solve but im just not getting it

1. Why am I struggling to solve this problem?

Solving problems can be challenging, and it's normal to encounter difficulties along the way. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concept, not having enough information, or simply needing more practice. Don't get discouraged and keep trying different approaches.

2. How can I approach this problem differently?

Sometimes, approaching a problem from a different angle can help in finding a solution. Try breaking it down into smaller parts, drawing diagrams, or talking it out with someone. Don't be afraid to experiment with different methods until you find one that works for you.

3. Is there a specific technique I should use to solve this problem?

There are various problem-solving techniques, such as trial and error, working backward, or using equations. It's essential to choose a method that suits the problem at hand. If one method doesn't work, try a different one until you find the right approach.

4. How can I stay motivated when I can't solve the problem?

It's common to feel frustrated when you can't solve a problem, but it's crucial to stay motivated and keep trying. Take breaks when needed, and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Remind yourself of the end goal and how solving this problem will contribute to your overall knowledge and skills.

5. Where can I find additional resources to help me solve this problem?

If you're struggling to solve a problem, it's always helpful to seek additional resources. You can ask a teacher or mentor for guidance, look for online tutorials or forums, or consult textbooks and other reference materials. Remember, it's okay to ask for help when you need it.