This limit does not exist as it approaches 1 from both sides.

• MHB
  • Thread starter tmt1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses attempting to evaluate the limit $\lim_{{R}\to{1}} \frac{1}{R - 1}$ using L'hopital's rule, but getting a different answer than expected. It is then pointed out that this limit is not an indeterminate form and the correct answer is DNE.
tmt1
If I have this limit:

$$\lim_{{R}\to{1}} \frac{1}{R - 1}$$

I try to apply L'hopital's rule:

The derivative of 1 is 0, and the derivative of $R - 1$ is 1.

So I get $\frac{0}{1}$ which is 0. But apparently the answer is infinity.

What am I doing wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's not an indeterminate form; e.g. $\dfrac00$, $\dfrac{\infty}{\infty}$. Google "indeterminate form" for more information.

tmt said:
If I have this limit:

$$\lim_{{R}\to{1}} \frac{1}{R - 1}$$

I try to apply L'hopital's rule:

The derivative of 1 is 0, and the derivative of $R - 1$ is 1.

So I get $\frac{0}{1}$ which is 0. But apparently the answer is infinity.

What am I doing wrong?

I would actually give DNE for an answer, since:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{R\to1^{-}}\frac{1}{R-1}\ne\lim_{R\to1^{+}}\frac{1}{R-1}\)

Related to This limit does not exist as it approaches 1 from both sides.

What is the definition of "Limit as R approaches 1"?

The limit as R approaches 1 is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input variable, represented by R, gets closer and closer to a specific value of 1. It is denoted by the notation lim(R→1) and is used to determine the value that a function approaches, but may never reach, as its input approaches the specified value.

How is the limit as R approaches 1 calculated?

The limit as R approaches 1 is calculated by plugging in values closer and closer to 1 into the function and observing the output. If the output values are approaching a specific number, then that number is the limit. If the output values are approaching different numbers from both sides, then the limit does not exist.

Why is the concept of "Limit as R approaches 1" important in mathematics?

The concept of limit as R approaches 1 is important in mathematics because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of a function near a specific point. It helps us to make predictions about the values of the function and to determine whether the function is continuous at that point.

What are some real-life applications of the limit as R approaches 1?

The concept of limit as R approaches 1 has many real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to determine the maximum stress a structure can withstand before breaking, to calculate the speed of an object at a given point in time, or to analyze the behavior of a market as prices approach a certain value.

What are some common misconceptions about the limit as R approaches 1?

One common misconception about the limit as R approaches 1 is that it is the same as the value of the function at that point. However, the limit is not necessarily equal to the value of the function at that point, as the function may have a discontinuity or behave differently near that point. Another misconception is that limits only exist for continuous functions, but they can also exist for non-continuous functions.