Third Law of Motion Problem Finding average Force

In summary, a 9800kg rocket traveling east at 11m/s is uniformly accelerated to 22m/s in 0.75s by the expulsion of hot gases. The average force at which the gases are expelled is calculated to be 179634N, but upon further inspection, it was found to be 14.67N.
twisted
1. A 9800kg rocket is traveling east along a horizontal frictionless rail at a velocity of 11m/s. The rocket is then accelerated uniformly to a velocity of 22m/s in a time of 0.75s by the expulsion of hot gases. What is the average force at which the gases are expelled by the rocket?

Homework Equations

Finding the net acceleration.
22 = 11+a(0.75)
18.333=a
Finding force.
F = 9800x18.33
F = 179634

What have I done wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Twisted!
My calculator says 14.67 for that
22 = 11+a(0.75)
11 = .75*a subtracted 11 from both sides
a = 11/.75 = 14.67 divided both sides by .75

Ugh, I can't believe I entered it into my calculator wrong. I got it right now. Thanks a lot for the quick response!

Related to Third Law of Motion Problem Finding average Force

1. What is the Third Law of Motion?

The Third Law of Motion is one of three laws developed by Sir Isaac Newton to explain the behavior of objects in motion. It states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How does the Third Law of Motion apply to finding average force?

The Third Law of Motion can be applied to finding average force by understanding that every force has an equal and opposite force acting on another object. To find the average force, we must consider both the force being applied and the equal and opposite reaction force.

3. What are some common examples of the Third Law of Motion?

Some common examples of the Third Law of Motion include a person pushing a cart, a bird flying in the air, and a rocket launching into space. In each of these examples, there is a force being applied that results in an equal and opposite reaction force.

4. How can the Third Law of Motion be used to solve problems?

In order to solve problems using the Third Law of Motion, one must identify the forces acting on the objects involved and determine their equal and opposite reactions. By considering both forces, we can calculate the average force and understand the motion of the objects.

5. Are there any limitations to the Third Law of Motion?

While the Third Law of Motion is a fundamental principle of physics, it does have some limitations. This law only applies to objects that are in direct contact with each other and does not take into account other forces such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, this law does not apply in certain situations such as when objects are in free fall or in a vacuum.