Thinking about applying for an internship

In summary, the speaker is currently enrolled in a 3/2 degree program for physics and engineering, where they will spend 3 years at one school and transfer for an additional 2 years to graduate with an engineering degree from the second school and a physics degree from the first school. They are now looking for internships and are having trouble filling in some details on their resume. They are unsure of which field of engineering they want to pursue and have taken an extra semester due to medical issues. They are unsure of how to list their expected graduation date and are seeking suggestions. They may list their degree as "Engineering & Physics Dual Degree" and mention that they will complete the physics degree requirements in Spring 2013, even though they will
MissScooter
Hey all, I am currently on a 3/2 degree program for physics and engineering, where I'll spend 3 years at one school, transfer for an additional 2 years and graduate with an engineering degree from the second school and a physics degree from the first school.

So I decided I need to start looking into internships, and was writing up a resume to apply somewhere that offers a few different types of engineering internships. I'm having a little trouble filling in some details on my resume. I looked online for how to really write one, and they pretty much all start like this:

School Name
Degree
Expected Graduation Date
GPA

Is it okay to list "Dual Degree: Physics/Engineering" for degree? Before last semester, I had thought I was going for chemical engineering, but now I'm not so sure. So I really don't have a 100% idea on which field in engineering right now.

Additionally, I'm a 3/2 major, but I ended up dropping out one semester, due to medical issues not grades, and decided not to try to transfer in fall semester, so I will be taking 4 years at the first school now instead of 3. My expected graduation date is a little iffy, as I get both the physics from the first school and engineering from the second after I graduate from the second school, but that's long in the future. How would I specify this? If I put spring 2015 as the expected graduation date, wouldn't it make me sound like I'm a freshman? (I currently have 64 credits).
My father said I should post it as:
"Expected Physics Graduation Date: Spring 2013
Expected Engineering Graduation Date: Spring 2015"
But that seems a little off to me, because I don't technically graduate with the physics degree in 2013, I have to apply after graduating in 2015.

Sorry if my post is a little confusing, I'm just a tad confused on how to present my information on a resume, as I even have trouble explaining it here! Very new to this, any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe write your degree as:

Engineering & Physics Dual Degree

And you should basically just list 2015 as your graduation date but mention physics degree requirements will be completed in Spring 2013.

Related to Thinking about applying for an internship

What is an internship?

An internship is a temporary work experience at a company or organization in your desired field of study or career. It typically lasts for a set period of time and allows you to gain hands-on experience and practical skills in a professional environment.

Why should I apply for an internship?

Internships provide valuable opportunities to gain real-world experience, develop new skills, and make professional connections. They also give you a chance to explore different career paths and determine if a certain field is right for you.

How do I find internships?

There are many ways to find internships, including job search websites, career fairs, networking events, and contacting companies directly. Your school's career center is also a great resource for finding internships tailored to your field of study.

When is the best time to apply for internships?

The best time to apply for internships is typically at least 3-6 months before you plan to start. Many companies have specific deadlines for their internship programs, so it's important to research and apply early to increase your chances of being accepted.

What should I include in my internship application?

Your internship application should include a well-written resume, a cover letter tailored to the specific internship, and any relevant work or academic experience. It's also important to showcase your skills and passion for the industry in your application materials.