Things that self collapse or self measure

In summary, according to Euan Squires, systems described by the Schrodinger equation, cannot themselves make measurements. So in the Big Bang, what serve as the classical measurement device to collapse it? 13 Billion years ago. There were no humans yet. So how did the universe wave function collapse? I can understand decoherence can turn it into mixture but mixture is not really collapse. Collapse is differet from mixture.
rodsika
Can you give example of systems that self collapse? For example, is radioactive decay an example of self measurement? How about 13 billion years ago when stars were just being formed, is it an example of self measurement? Because I can't imagine how stars can form when all things are in superposition. Please give other examples where things self collapse (or self measurement) occurs without observers in the context of the orthodox Copenhagen. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
An observer doesn't have to be a person. An electron can observe a passing proton inside a star just fine. Observer just means something that the particle interacts with I believe. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

According to Euan Squires, in his book 'Conscious Mind in the Physical World':

... systems described by the Schrodinger equation, cannot themselves make measurements ...

rodsika said:
Can you give example of systems that self collapse?
Self measurement doesn't exist for quantum systems. When they are isolated, they obey Schrödinger's equation.

rodsika said:
How about 13 billion years ago when stars were just being formed, is it an example of self measurement? Because I can't imagine how stars can form when all things are in superposition.
The superpositions are destroyed due to interactions with the environment (this process is called decoherence). The environment in this case is the electromagnetic field. An ensemble of atoms, initially in a superposition state, thus evolves into an incoherent mixture, describeable by the Boltzmann distribution.

Drakkith said:
An observer doesn't have to be a person. An electron can observe a passing proton inside a star just fine. Observer just means something that the particle interacts with I believe. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
From a mathematical point of view, observation usually involves non-unitarian time evolution ("collapse"). Fundamental interactions, like electron-proton scattering, obey unitarian time evolution and constitute therefore no measurement.

In the Kopenhagen viewpoint, the collapse is caused by interacting with a "classical" measurement device (which as you said doesn't have to be a person).

In the Decoherence viewpoint, non-unitarian time evolution arises from interactions with an environment.

Last edited:
kith said:
From a mathematical point of view, observation usually involves non-unitarian time evolution ("collapse"). Fundamental interactions, like electron-proton scattering, obey unitarian time evolution and constitute therefore no measurement.

In the Kopenhagen viewpoint, the collapse is caused by interacting with a "classical" measurement device (which as you said doesn't have to be a person).

In the Decoherence viewpoint, non-unitarian time evolution arises from interactions with an environment.

So in the Big Bang. What serve as the classical measurement device to collapse
it? 13 Billion years ago. There were no humans yet. So how did the universe wave
function collapse? I can understand decoherence can turn it into mixture but
mixture is not really collapse. Collapse is differet from Mixture.

rodsika said:
So in the Big Bang. What serve as the classical measurement device to collapse
it? 13 Billion years ago. There were no humans yet. So how did the universe wave

An observer doesn't have to be a person. It can be whatever interacts with the particles.

rodsika said:
So in the Big Bang. What serve as the classical measurement device to collapse it? 13 Billion years ago. There were no humans yet. So how did the universe wave

no observers...

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1003/1003.5582v2.pdf

Would a typical modern-day Copenhagenist say that collapse occurs 'at the time of decoherence' and that collapse consists of random selection of one of the 'diagonal terms'?

The ideation of "collapsing" is a pure anthropocentric fantasy.
As egocentric anthropocentrists, some ones has postulated that the time and causality in microphysics should be identical to our familiar time and causality in our macroscopical world governed by statistical emergences.
Their concept of "wave function" is a fiction engineered to represent their egocentric knowledge under the assumption that absorbers do not play any role in causality in microphysics, that in microphysics, absorbers do no exist, and only emitters and artillery exist.
The costs to pay are many, and all that fuss about "collapse" is one.

However the formalism contradicts the semantics the standard teaching wraps around.

Since the complete relativistic equation for fermions set up by Dirac in 1928, you have under you eyes the components with negative energy and negative frequencies. So since 1928 you do not need any more any magics of "collapse" to understand the convergence of any quanton wave on an absorber.

Related to Things that self collapse or self measure

1. What is self-collapse or self-measurement?

Self-collapse or self-measurement is a phenomenon observed in quantum mechanics where a particle's wave function collapses into a definite state when it interacts with a measuring device or is observed by an observer.

2. How does self-collapse occur?

According to quantum mechanics, particles exist in a state of superposition, meaning they can exist in multiple states at once. When a particle interacts with a measuring device, its wave function collapses into one of these states, determined by the measurement.

3. Can self-collapse be predicted?

No, self-collapse is a random and unpredictable event. The outcome of a measurement is determined by probability rather than causation.

4. What is the significance of self-collapse in quantum mechanics?

Self-collapse is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is essential in understanding the behavior of particles on a microscopic level. It also has implications in the field of quantum computing and information processing.

5. How is self-collapse different from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the state of a system can be precisely determined and predicted. In quantum mechanics, the state of a particle is described by a probability distribution, making it impossible to predict the exact outcome of a measurement.