Things giving rise to static and dynamic coefficients of friction?

In summary: Pressure.Any others?Dust.In summary, the topography of an object and the surface it is on affects the amount of kinetic energy needed to move it. Hysteresis is the tendency for a material to keep returning to a previous state after being deformed.
Frabjous said:
We general like physics to be frame independent.
1687131955150.png

https://www.thegeneral.com/about/contact/

• Love
Likes jaketodd
Physics news on Phys.org
Yum!

How do you guys know I have an emergency stockpile of SPAM??

Yes, Sizzle some Pork And Mmmm.

Frabjous said:
What if I heated the ”hard” plate so that it became the ”soft” plate?
Then they would both be frictionless surfaces to one another and there would be no coefficients of friction between them.

jaketodd said:
Then they would both be frictionless surfaces to one another and there would be no coefficients of friction between them.
No, there would still be friction between them.

Frabjous said:
No, there would still be friction between them.
I'm sorry; I thought you meant that the plates would be separate.

But in discrete space and discrete bodies, there will always be friction, because there is a smallest unit, always a "roughness." But if possible, continuous for both, I suppose total frictionless is possible, at least in theory.

jaketodd said:
I'm sorry; I thought you meant that the plates would be separate.

But in discrete space and discrete bodies, there will always be friction, because there is a smallest unit, always a "roughness." But if possible, continuous for both, I suppose total frictionless is possible, at least in theory.
There are also adhesive forces so probably not.

Frabjous said:
There are also adhesive forces so probably not.
I suppose in discrete space, smallest units, it's possible for there to be perfect smoothness, but not if near a gravitating body, because then all the quanta would not match up perfectly. Warped discrete spacetime.

Adhesive forces, good point, like gravity of the two surfaces, however weak. Unless there's a smallest unit of gravity, and the two surfaces are not at the threshold to have any gravity. But then there's all the other factors mentioned in this thread that can increase the friction coefficients.

jaketodd said:
Adhesive forces, good point, like gravity of the two surfaces, however weak
Or chemical bonding.

Likes jaketodd