Thin circular plate in pure bending

In summary, the task is to find the shear force in terms of r. The problem is that the reactions are needed to take a section, but the value of the reaction cannot be found in terms of r. The attached problem (look at A) shows an attempt at a solution, but it is not accurate as the shear force will vary.
Sadeq

Homework Statement

Finding shear in terms of r

My problem, is that i want t o find the shear force and if i want take a section , i need to know the reactions, but i can't find the value of reaction in terms of r

I attached the problem (look at A)
and my solution(in which i wasn't able to relate reaction to r ( because shear will vary)

please guide me if this solution is right, since i think it is not accurate

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Q.pdf
    140.3 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC03953.jpg
    DSC03953.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Thin circular plate in pure bending

1. What is a thin circular plate?

A thin circular plate is a flat, circular object with a small thickness in comparison to its diameter. It is commonly used in engineering and mechanics applications, such as in the design of pressure vessels and heat exchangers.

2. What is pure bending?

Pure bending is a type of deformation that occurs when a material is subject to a bending moment, causing it to bend without any accompanying shear forces. This results in a change in the shape of the material, but not in its volume.

3. How is a thin circular plate in pure bending modeled?

A thin circular plate in pure bending can be modeled using the theory of elasticity, which takes into account the material properties, applied forces, and geometry of the plate. It can also be modeled using finite element analysis, which uses numerical methods to solve for the stresses and strains in the plate.

4. What are the assumptions made in the analysis of a thin circular plate in pure bending?

The main assumptions made in the analysis of a thin circular plate in pure bending are that the material is homogenous and isotropic, the plate is thin with a constant thickness, and the applied load is perpendicular to the plane of the plate. These assumptions allow for simplified equations to be used in the analysis.

5. How is the stress distribution in a thin circular plate in pure bending?

The stress distribution in a thin circular plate in pure bending is parabolic, with maximum stresses at the edges of the plate and zero stresses at the center. This is due to the bending moment causing tensile stresses on the outer surface and compressive stresses on the inner surface of the plate.