Thickness of Mantle Calculation

• Thread starter burnout_128
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thickness
In summary: Mtotal = Vtotal * (6.28 * r_core) Mcore = Vcore * (6.28 * r_core) Mmantle = Vmantle * (6.28 * r_core)
burnout_128

Homework Statement

Given the density of the mantle to be 4700 kg/m^3, the density of the core to be 9700 kg/m^3, the radius of the planet to be 6050 km and the mean density to be 5240 kg/m^3, find the thickness of the mantle.

Homework Equations

I tried using the formula M = D * V and V = (4/3)(pie)(r^3) but there seems to be too much missing data.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have an equation linking volume (and so mass) of a sphere with radius.
Now write the equation for the volume of the shell (ie mantle) which will depend on the thickness of the mantle ie, on the radius of the core.

Then you have an equation something like
overall average mass = mass of core (r_core) + mass mantle ( r_core )

mgb_phys said:
You have an equation linking volume (and so mass) of a sphere with radius.
Now write the equation for the volume of the shell (ie mantle) which will depend on the thickness of the mantle ie, on the radius of the core.

Then you have an equation something like
overall average mass = mass of core (r_core) + mass mantle ( r_core )

So I end up having three equations...
1) Mtotal = Vtotal * Dtotal
2) Mcore = Vcore * Dcore
3) Mmantle = Vmantle * Dmantle

1) I have the V because I am given the radius and can also figure out the M because I am given the D.
2 & 3) I only have both D's and nothing else.

I also know that: 4) Mtotal = Mcore + Mmantle
Similarly, I know that: 5) Vtotal = Vcore + Vmantle

Equations (4) and (5) seems useless as I don't have information about the mass of either the mantle or the core and don't have information about the volume of the core or mantle.

Is there some way I can substitute equations... or am I even going about it the right way?

You are on the right path,
Write the volumes in terms of radius of Earth and radius of Core, note the volume of core and mantle are related.
Then you can write equation 4 in terms of this core radius.

Related to Thickness of Mantle Calculation

1. How is the thickness of the mantle calculated?

The thickness of the mantle is calculated by using seismic waves and the concept of velocity. Seismic waves travel at different speeds through different materials, and by measuring the speed of these waves and comparing them to known values, scientists can determine the thickness of the mantle.

2. What is the average thickness of the mantle?

The average thickness of the mantle is approximately 2,900 kilometers. However, this can vary depending on the location and composition of the mantle.

3. How do scientists determine the composition of the mantle?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the composition of the mantle, including analyzing rock samples from the Earth's surface and studying the chemical and mineral makeup of these rocks. They also use seismic data and computer simulations to model the composition of the mantle.

4. What factors can affect the thickness of the mantle?

The thickness of the mantle can be affected by a number of factors, including tectonic activity, volcanic eruptions, and the movement of Earth's plates. These processes can cause changes in the composition and temperature of the mantle, which can in turn affect its thickness.

5. Is the thickness of the mantle constant throughout the Earth?

No, the thickness of the mantle is not constant throughout the Earth. The thickness can vary significantly in different regions due to differences in composition, temperature, and geological activity. For example, the thinnest part of the mantle is found beneath ocean basins, while the thickest part is located beneath mountain ranges.