Thevenin Voltage & Impedance with Dependent Source: Homework & Solution"

In summary: V/600 + V/(-j300) + 3V/300 - 1 =0So is this the equation that gave you the values in post #17? If so, something's wrong with the...No, that's not the equation. You should get V300ohm = 259.756-62.19i from post #17.No, that's not the equation. You should get V300ohm = 259.756-62.19i from post #17.
eehelp150

Homework Statement

Nad7XaN.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I do Thevenin voltage and impedance with a dependent source? Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You just did a network with a dependent source using nodal analysis. Solve for the voltage across the 300 ohm resistor in this network; that will be Vth.

The Electrician said:
You just did a network with a dependent source using nodal analysis. Solve for the voltage across the 300 ohm resistor in this network; that will be Vth.
At the "right side" of node V, is it (V+2V)/300 or (V-2V)/300?
Would the nodal equation be:
(V-9)/600 + V/(-j300) + (V+2V)/300 = 0?

The thing is, you have a supernode here if you're going to do nodal analysis.

See how they have two mesh currents, I1 and I2 shown? I would take that as an invitation to use mesh analysis.

I see some of your posts changing, but there is no indication of editing. I think you may be deleting a post and then reposting. Don't do that; use the edit function.

When you delete and then repost it can be very confusing.

Do you know how to deal with a supernode? If you don't, perhaps you should do a mesh analysis first.

eehelp150 said:
At the "right side" of node V, is it (V+2V)/300 or (V-2V)/300?
Would the nodal equation be:
(V-9)/600 + V/(-j300) + (V+2V)/300 = 0?

That equation is correct, but you need the voltage on the right side of the dependent source--that will be Vth.

The Electrician said:
That equation is correct, but you need the voltage on the right side of the dependent source--that will be Vth.
No worries. That would just be 3V. Solve for V and multiply by 3 :smile:

gneill said:
No worries. That would just be 3V. Solve for V and multiply by 3 :smile:
Solving for V in that equation, I get V = 9/5 Volts. Is that correct? What would V300ohm be?

eehelp150 said:
Solving for V in that equation, I get V = 9/5 Volts. Is that correct? What would V300ohm be?

No, the voltage should be complex thanks to the capacitor in the circuit.

gneill said:
No, the voltage should be complex thanks to the capacitor in the circuit.
Interesting. I "re-pressed" the solve button on Wolfram alpha and got:
V = (63-18i)/53.

eehelp150 said:
Interesting. I "re-pressed" the solve button on Wolfram alpha and got:
V = (63-18i)/53.
And that would be a much better result!

gneill said:
And that would be a much better result!
So now I have the voltage across the capacitor and the value of the dependent source (which is simply 2*Vcapacitor). The voltage across the 300ohm resistor is Voc which would be: (Vcapacitor + 2Vcapacitor) for a total of 3 * Vcapacitor right?

eehelp150 said:
So now I have the voltage across the capacitor and the value of the dependent source (which is simply 2*Vcapacitor). The voltage across the 300ohm resistor is Voc which would be: (Vcapacitor + 2Vcapacitor) for a total of 3 * Vcapacitor right?
Right.

gneill said:
Right.
How would I find Zth?

eehelp150 said:
How would I find Zth?
One method is to find the short circuit current across the output (i.e. the Norton equivalent current). The impedance is the ratio of the Thevenin voltage to the Norton current.

Replace the 9 volt with a short and add a 1 amp current source at the output. Solve the network for V again. The voltage at the A-B terminals will be 3*V. The value of that voltage will be equal to the resistance at the A-B terminals which will be the desired Rth.

Since you already have an equation for V due to the 9 volt source, it will be a small change to add the 1 amp current source.

The Electrician said:
Replace the 9 volt with a short and add a 1 amp current source at the output. Solve the network for V again. The voltage at the A-B terminals will be 3*V. The value of that voltage will be equal to the resistance at the A-B terminals which will be the desired Rth.

Since you already have an equation for V due to the 9 volt source, it will be a small change to add the 1 amp current source.
I ended up getting I1 = -0.10975609756098 +0.01219512195122i
and I2 = -0.13414634146341 -0.20731707317073i

Did I do it right?
3*V = 197.56 -21.95i

V300ohm = (I2+1)*300 = 259.756-62.19i

Which value is right?

Neither is right. Let's see the equation you used.

Your original equations was (V-9)/600 + V/(-j300) + (V+2V)/300 = 0

What would it be if you short the 9 volt source and apply 1 amp to the A-B terminals?

The Electrician said:
Neither is right. Let's see the equation you used.

Your original equations was (V-9)/600 + V/(-j300) + (V+2V)/300 = 0

What would it be if you short the 9 volt source and apply 1 amp to the A-B terminals?
V/600 + V/(-j300) + 3V/300 - 1 =0

So is this the equation that gave you the values in post #17? If so, something's wrong with the solution because that's the right equation. Did you use MyAlgebra to solve it?

Here's what I get:

Solu.png

The Electrician said:
So is this the equation that gave you the values in post #17? If so, something's wrong with the solution because that's the right equation. Did you use MyAlgebra to solve it?

Here's what I get:

View attachment 107413
redid with wolfram and got it. Thanks!

Related to Thevenin Voltage & Impedance with Dependent Source: Homework & Solution"

1. What is Thevenin voltage?

Thevenin voltage is the voltage at the output terminals of a linear electrical network, when all the sources and impedances within the network are replaced by an equivalent voltage source and series impedance.

2. How is Thevenin voltage calculated?

Thevenin voltage can be calculated by short-circuiting the output terminals of the network and finding the voltage across them. This voltage is equivalent to the Thevenin voltage.

3. What is Thevenin impedance?

Thevenin impedance is the equivalent impedance of a linear electrical network, when all the sources within the network are replaced by an equivalent voltage source and series impedance.

4. How is Thevenin impedance calculated?

Thevenin impedance can be calculated by first finding the Thevenin voltage and then calculating the ratio of the Thevenin voltage to the current flowing through the short-circuited output terminals.

5. How is Thevenin impedance used in circuit analysis?

Thevenin impedance is used in circuit analysis to simplify complex networks into a single equivalent circuit, making it easier to analyze and design circuits. It is also useful in determining maximum power transfer and stability of a circuit.