Thevenin equivalent of lattice network

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Thevenin equivalent network of a lattice network viewed from points As and Br, with terminals Bs and Ar not connected to anything. The suggestion is to use potential dividers and possibly the Y-D transformation, with some considerations for the resistor e. Redrawing the diagram and removing resistor e may provide helpful insights in solving the problem.
Mbert

Homework Statement

Find the Thevenin equivalent network of the lattice network (see attached), viewed from points As and Br (terminals Bs and Ar are not connected to anything).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Without the resistance f, the problem is quite simple. I can find voltages at nodes Bs and Ar as a function of voltage between As and Br (potential dividers). Then insert f and check how it modifies the impedance? I think it only works to check the Thevenin impedance between Bs and Ar, not As and Br, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2011-11-10 08.55.01 am.png
    2011-11-10 08.55.01 am.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes redrawing the diagram can provide insight. Relocate the node Bs to the interior of triangle AsArBr and see what you get.

I'm guessing I have to use the Y-D transformation, so I get 2 triangles in parallel?

Mbert said:
I'm guessing I have to use the Y-D transformation, so I get 2 triangles in parallel?

There are several ways to continue, one of which is certainly to employ a Y-Δ transform.

You might want to note that resistor e runs directly between the "output" nodes, so it is in effect in parallel with all the rest. You could always remove it for now, figure out the resistance of the rest, then put e back in parallel to finish up.

Yes, many thanks.

Related to Thevenin equivalent of lattice network

1. What is the Thevenin equivalent of a lattice network?

The Thevenin equivalent of a lattice network is a simplified representation of the original network that contains a single voltage source and a single resistor. This equivalent circuit can be used to analyze the behavior of the original network without the need for complex calculations.

2. How is the Thevenin equivalent of a lattice network calculated?

The Thevenin equivalent of a lattice network is calculated by finding the open-circuit voltage across two terminals of the network and the equivalent resistance between those terminals. This can be done using various techniques such as superposition, Thevenin's theorem, and Norton's theorem.

3. What are the benefits of using the Thevenin equivalent in lattice network analysis?

Using the Thevenin equivalent in lattice network analysis allows for a simpler and more efficient way to analyze the behavior of the network. It reduces the number of components and calculations needed, making it easier to understand and troubleshoot the network. It also allows for easier comparison with other networks and simplifies the design process.

4. Can the Thevenin equivalent be used for all types of lattice networks?

Yes, the Thevenin equivalent can be used for all types of lattice networks, including series-parallel and parallel-parallel networks. As long as the network contains linear components, the Thevenin equivalent can be calculated and used for analysis.

5. How accurate is the Thevenin equivalent compared to the original lattice network?

The Thevenin equivalent is an accurate representation of the original lattice network as long as the network contains linear components. However, it is important to note that the Thevenin equivalent is an approximation and may not capture all the nuances of the original network. It is best used for analysis and design purposes, rather than for precise calculations.