Thevenin Equivalent Circuits with Dependent Source

In summary, the usual method for finding the Thévenin Equivalent resistance (RTH) for a circuit with dependent sources is to connect a voltage source between the two points, turn off all independent sources, and solve the resulting circuit. Then, use R_\text{Th} = \frac{e_g}{i_g} to calculate the resistance, where e_g is the voltage of the added source and i_g is the current through it. For the Thévenin EMF, you only need to find the voltage drop between the two points when the circuit is open. It is important to note that both independent and dependent sources must be taken into account for the Thévenin EMF, but only independent sources should be
simba9071
May anyone please help with the method of getting Thevenin Equivalent resistance (RTH) for the attached circuit. I have already found VTH to be 8V.

View attachment ECA.doc

Sim

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't looked at the circuit, but since you say it has dependent sources, the usual way to go about this is to connect a voltage source of generic EMF [tex]e_g[/tex] between the two points, turn off all the independent sources, and then solve this circuit. Now, you use [tex]R_\text{Th} = \frac{e_g}{i_g}[/tex] where [tex]i_g[/tex] is the current going through the voltage source, where active references are used for voltage and current. If you've done everything right, [tex]e_g[/tex] will be a linear function of [tex]i_g[/tex] and you can simplify when you do the division.

This is for the Thévenin resistance - for the Thévenin EMF, all you need is the voltage drop between the two points when you open the circuit, as always.

Hope this helps. :)

Metaleer said:
I haven't looked at the circuit, but since you say it has dependent sources, the usual way to go about this is to connect a voltage source of generic EMF [tex]e_g[/tex] between the two points, turn off all the independent sources, and then solve this circuit. Now, you use [tex]R_\text{Th} = \frac{e_g}{i_g}[/tex] where [tex]i_g[/tex] is the current going through the voltage source, where active references are used for voltage and current. If you've done everything right, [tex]e_g[/tex] will be a linear function of [tex]i_g[/tex] and you can simplify when you do the division.

This is for the Thévenin resistance - for the Thévenin EMF, all you need is the voltage drop between the two points when you open the circuit, as always.

Hope this helps. :)

I'm not sure if we have to treat a dependent source differently from a independent source when measuring resistance. Because you can also find a non-zero resistance in independent sources using your formula
[tex]R = \frac{V}{I}[/tex].
Dependent source definitely contributes to [tex]V_\text{Th} [/tex].
For the circuit I see,
Rth = 2//8 = 1.6 ohms.

Neandethal00 said:
I'm not sure if we have to treat a dependent source differently from a independent source when measuring resistance. Because you can also find a non-zero resistance in independent sources using your formula
[tex]R = \frac{V}{I}[/tex].
Dependent source definitely contributes to [tex]V_\text{Th} [/tex].
For the circuit I see,
Rth = 2//8 = 1.6 ohms.

I'm not sure what you mean. All independent sources need to be switched off to measure the equivalent Thévenin resistance between two terminals, and dependent sources need to be left there.

ulating circuits using Thevenin equivalent circuits can be a useful tool for analyzing complex circuits. In order to find the Thevenin equivalent resistance (RTH) for a circuit with dependent sources, the following steps can be followed:

1. Remove the load resistor from the original circuit and label the open circuit voltage as VTH. In this case, VTH is already given as 8V.

2. Short all independent voltage sources and open all independent current sources in the circuit.

3. Find the equivalent resistance looking into the open-circuited load terminals. This can be done by using the voltage divider rule or by applying a test voltage and calculating the resulting current.

4. Once the equivalent resistance (RTH) is found, it can be used to create the Thevenin equivalent circuit, which will consist of a voltage source with VTH as its value and a series resistor with RTH as its value.

In summary, the method for finding the Thevenin equivalent resistance for a circuit with dependent sources involves simulating the circuit with open-circuited load terminals and finding the equivalent resistance. This value can then be used to create the Thevenin equivalent circuit, which can be used for further analysis and simplification of the original circuit.

Related to Thevenin Equivalent Circuits with Dependent Source

1. What is a Thevenin equivalent circuit with a dependent source?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit with a dependent source is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that contains a dependent source. It consists of a voltage source, a series resistor, and the dependent source connected to the output. This equivalent circuit allows for easier analysis and understanding of the behavior of the original circuit.

2. How is a Thevenin equivalent circuit with a dependent source different from a regular Thevenin equivalent circuit?

A regular Thevenin equivalent circuit only contains independent sources, while a Thevenin equivalent circuit with a dependent source includes both independent and dependent sources. This means that the output voltage of the circuit is dependent on both the input voltage and the dependent source's value.

3. What is the process for finding the Thevenin equivalent circuit with a dependent source?

The process for finding the Thevenin equivalent circuit with a dependent source is similar to that of a regular Thevenin equivalent circuit. First, the dependent source is replaced with its equivalent circuit using the open-circuit voltage method. Then, the equivalent circuit is simplified by combining any series or parallel resistors. Finally, the Thevenin voltage and resistance are determined from the simplified equivalent circuit.

4. Can a dependent source be included in the Thevenin equivalent circuit for AC circuits?

Yes, a dependent source can be included in the Thevenin equivalent circuit for AC circuits. The value of the dependent source will depend on the frequency of the AC signal, and the analysis of the equivalent circuit will need to take this into account.

5. Why is it useful to find the Thevenin equivalent circuit with a dependent source?

Finding the Thevenin equivalent circuit with a dependent source allows for easier analysis of a complex circuit. It simplifies the circuit and makes it easier to understand the behavior of the original circuit. Furthermore, it can be used in circuit design and troubleshooting to determine the effect of different inputs on the circuit's output.