Thesis Help Sound Intensity Probe.

In summary, a sound intensity probe can be implemented in MATLAB using two conventional microphones. By comparing the phase information from the FFTs of the recordings, the angle of sound propagation can be determined, allowing for the calculation of the intensity of the sound in a particular direction. This information can then be plotted against time or frequency to analyze the variations in sound intensity.
SIP
Thesis Help! Sound Intensity Probe.

My final year thesis is to implement a sound intensity probe in MATLAB using two conventional microphones. Using these microphones, i can make recordings of audio to analyse in MATLAB, with the main aim to locate the sound from the phase information, and to get intensity measurements.

My method so far has been to input the stereo recording (of a guitar playing an A note, as a simple example) as a two column matrix in matlab. Then perform an FFT on each column individually. I can extract frequency data and amplitude data, but the phase data has been causing me trouble. I need to be able to locate the sound, but have no idea how to do it. I have tried dividing the angles of the fft and plotting this against time, but i just get a blue square. Could anyone please help me, as I have spent weeks at this, and have really hit a brick wall. It's killing me!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A sound intensity probe can be used to measure the intensity of a sound in a particular direction, by measuring the differences in pressure between two different points. This can be accomplished in MATLAB by using two conventional microphones to record the sound. The two recordings should be recorded simultaneously and then input into MATLAB as a two column matrix. Next, you can perform an FFT on each column individually. This will give you the frequency data for each microphone as well as the corresponding amplitudes and phases. To calculate the intensity of the sound in a particular direction, you can use the phase information from the FFTs. By comparing the two phases, you can determine the angle of sound propagation, which can then be used to calculate the intensity of the sound in that direction. Finally, you can plot your results against time or frequency, to show how the intensity of the sound varies over time or with frequency. This should give you a good indication of where the sound is coming from. Good luck with your thesis!

Related to Thesis Help Sound Intensity Probe.

1. What is a sound intensity probe?

A sound intensity probe is a scientific instrument that measures the intensity of sound waves in a specific environment. It typically consists of a microphone and a pressure sensor, and is used to determine the decibel level of a sound source.

2. How does a sound intensity probe work?

A sound intensity probe works by measuring the pressure fluctuations caused by sound waves in a specific area. The microphone converts these pressure fluctuations into an electrical signal, which is then analyzed by the probe's software to determine the sound intensity in decibels.

3. What are the applications of a sound intensity probe?

A sound intensity probe is commonly used in various fields such as environmental noise monitoring, building acoustics, and industrial noise control. It is also used in research and development to study the effects of sound on humans and animals.

4. How accurate is a sound intensity probe?

The accuracy of a sound intensity probe depends on various factors such as the quality of the instrument, calibration, and environmental conditions. Generally, a well-calibrated sound intensity probe can provide accurate measurements within a range of ±0.5 decibels.

5. Can a sound intensity probe measure all types of sound waves?

Yes, a sound intensity probe can measure all types of sound waves, including both audible and inaudible frequencies. However, the accuracy of the measurements may vary depending on the frequency range of the probe and the sound source.