Thermofluids Air Conditioning Unit TS diagram

In summary, to plot a TS diagram for an air conditioning unit using R134a, it is recommended to use a thermodynamic software or steam table instead of extrapolation. It is important to consider the properties of the refrigerant and specific processes involved. The pressure at a warmer temperature can be lower due to changes in specific volume. Using an enthalpy-entropy diagram is more suitable for accurate plotting.
Mechaman

Homework Statement

To plot a TS diagram given the relevant data here http://imgur.com/Q9RNL8P for an air conditioning unit.

Homework Equations

R134a is being used in an air conditioning unit, steam tables for -5hf 0hf and -5sf 0sf written below in exrapolation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've extrapolated the -2.7 to find the base pressure that goes into the evaporator from point 4 here http://imgur.com/zl4eIGJ

And finally this is my plot from what I understand http://imgur.com/XE4HVtt

I can see that point one is superheated so wouldn't I take the lower pressure as the -2.7degrees.

• But the pressure at -2.7 degrees is 2.7006 bar
  • and the pressure of 5.2 degrees is 2.554 bar
How is the warmer temperature a lower pressure?
Am I right in setting the bottom pressure line at the -2.7 degrees?

Thanks for reading I would appreciate any help with this.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! I would suggest using a thermodynamic software or a steam table to accurately plot the TS diagram for the given data. The extrapolation method may not give accurate results and can lead to errors in your analysis. Additionally, it is important to consider the thermodynamic properties of the refrigerant being used (in this case, R134a) and the specific processes involved in the air conditioning unit.

To address your specific questions, the pressure at a warmer temperature can be lower because it depends on the specific volume of the refrigerant. As the temperature increases, the specific volume also increases, resulting in a decrease in pressure. It is also important to note that the pressure values given in the steam table are for saturated conditions, so you may have to use interpolation to find the actual pressure at a specific temperature.

To accurately plot the TS diagram, I would suggest using the enthalpy-entropy (h-s) diagram instead of the temperature-entropy (T-s) diagram. This is because the h-s diagram takes into account the changes in specific volume and is more suitable for refrigeration and air conditioning systems.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your analysis.

Related to Thermofluids Air Conditioning Unit TS diagram

What is a Thermofluids Air Conditioning Unit TS diagram?

A Thermofluids Air Conditioning Unit TS diagram is a graphical representation of the thermodynamic process that takes place in an air conditioning unit. It shows the relationship between temperature and entropy of the refrigerant as it goes through the different stages of the cooling cycle.

How does a Thermofluids Air Conditioning Unit work?

A Thermofluids Air Conditioning Unit works by using a refrigerant to absorb heat from the indoor air and transfer it outside. The refrigerant goes through a series of processes, including compression, condensation, expansion, and evaporation, to cool and dehumidify the air.

What are the benefits of using a Thermofluids Air Conditioning Unit?

Thermofluids Air Conditioning Units are more efficient than traditional air conditioning units because they use a refrigerant with a lower boiling point, which requires less energy to change states. They also have a smaller carbon footprint and can be used in a wider range of temperatures and humidity levels.

What factors affect the performance of a Thermofluids Air Conditioning Unit?

The performance of a Thermofluids Air Conditioning Unit can be affected by the refrigerant used, the outdoor temperature, the humidity level, and the size and condition of the unit. Other factors, such as the type of heat exchanger and the quality of installation, can also impact its performance.

How can a TS diagram be used to improve the efficiency of a Thermofluids Air Conditioning Unit?

A TS diagram can be used to analyze and optimize the performance of a Thermofluids Air Conditioning Unit. By identifying areas of inefficiency, such as excessive pressure drops or temperature differences, adjustments can be made to improve the unit's efficiency and save energy.