Thermodynamics-when should I use u & h ?

• Thread starter yecko
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement states that work done is equal to internal energy change, but why it is used in this particular equation is unknown.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午8.09.07.png

Homework Equations

E =Q + W
U(internal energy)=m(u2-u1)
H(enthalpy)=m(h2-h1)

The Attempt at a Solution

螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午8.08.57.png

1st question: I understand in this case as no heat change, the work done should be equal to internal energy change... but why it used m(h2-h1) in this case for enthalpy change in this case?

2nd question: generally speaking, when should i use enthalpy and internal energy for calculating energy change?

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• 螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午8.09.07.png
    螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午8.09.07.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 3,596
  • 螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午8.08.57.png
    螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午8.08.57.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 4,983
Physics news on Phys.org
Enthalpy is used because it is simpler in this case. As you are told, "ΔU + Wb = ΔH during a constant pressure quasi-equilibrium process" and therefore We + Wpw = ΔH. Substituting known values gives you an equation with one unknown, V, which is what you want to determine. There is no need to separately calculate ΔU and/or Wb. That would just complicate things without helping to answer the given question.
Generally speaking, you need to take an approach like that above, write down an equation with all the relevant quantities, and determine what ΔU and ΔH are each equal to, and decide which is more appropriate to calculate for your problem.

mjc123 said:
As you are told, "ΔU + Wb = ΔH during a constant pressure quasi-equilibrium process" and therefore We + Wpw = ΔH.
mjc123 said:
There is no need to separately calculate ΔU and/or Wb.
螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午9.03.32.png

indeed solution of all these kind of questions would work done to the system equal to change of internal energy first, by m(u2-u1) first... and then it suddenly equals to m(h1-h2) which doubt me... why?

or do you mean just because there are volume change, on top of state and temperature, we should only use enthalpy instead of internal energy?
or should any kind of work done should just use enthalpy instead of internal energy data?

thanks

Attachments

• 螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午9.03.32.png
    螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午9.03.32.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 4,889
螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午10.00.56.png

螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午10.03.16.png

on the other hand, question like this used only internal energy instead of using enthalpy for the total energy... why?

Attachments

• 螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午10.00.56.png
    螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午10.00.56.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 2,835
  • 螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午10.03.16.png
    螢幕快照 2017-10-19 下午10.03.16.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,752
m(u2-u1) does not "suddenly equal" m(h2-h1). Can you not read what's in front of your face? A term is transferred from one side of the equation to the other. As is given in your example:
We - Wb = ΔU = m(u2-u1)
Add Wb to each side:
We = Wb + m(u2-u1) = m(h2-h1)
ΔH = ΔU + Δ(PV), and as explained above, in a constant-pressure process Δ(PV) = PΔV = Wb. In your second example the pressure is not constant, so Wb = ∫PdV ≠ Δ(PV), and Wb ≠ ΔH - ΔU. In this case, since the process is linear, if you had the enthalpy data you could work from that just as easily.

So to conclude, h is only being used when pressure is constant, Q=H,
u is being used when volume is constant (or even it is not constant, whenever when pressure is not constant?), Q=E+W=U+W... right?

Not necessarily. U and H are always both there; they are state functions of the system. (The relation between them is particularly simple at constant pressure.) Which you use in your calculations depends on which is more convenient - and sometimes, on which you have data for. (A lot of tabulated thermodynamic data is given in terms of enthalpy; e.g. enthalpies of formation, phase transitions etc. You could fairly easily calculate ΔU values from them, but ΔH values are what you are given.)
As I said above, do what your examples do - write down all the relevant energy terms in an equation of the form Ein - Eout = ΔEsystem. What is known and what is unknown? What assumptions are being made (e.g. constant pressure, insulated system etc.)? How do you calculate terms like Wb in the given scenario?

Related to Thermodynamics-when should I use u & h ?

1. When should I use internal energy (u) and enthalpy (h) in thermodynamics?

The choice between using internal energy and enthalpy in thermodynamics depends on the type of process being studied. If the process is isochoric (constant volume) or isothermal (constant temperature), then internal energy is the more appropriate variable to use. On the other hand, if the process is isobaric (constant pressure) or adiabatic (no heat transfer), then enthalpy should be used.

2. What is the difference between internal energy and enthalpy?

Internal energy is the sum of all the microscopic energy of a system, including the kinetic and potential energies of the particles. Enthalpy, on the other hand, is the sum of internal energy and the product of pressure and volume. It represents the total energy of a system, including any work done by or on the system.

3. Can I use both u and h in the same thermodynamic calculation?

Yes, it is possible to use both internal energy and enthalpy in the same calculation, as long as they are used appropriately for the given process. In some cases, it may be necessary to use a combination of both variables to accurately describe the thermodynamic state of a system.

4. How do I determine which variable to use in a thermodynamic problem?

In general, the choice between using internal energy or enthalpy depends on the specific details of the problem. It is important to carefully consider the type of process, as well as any given information about the system, such as pressure, volume, and heat transfer. Consulting a thermodynamics textbook or seeking assistance from a knowledgeable expert can also be helpful in determining the appropriate variable to use.

5. Is the choice between u and h just a matter of convenience?

No, the choice between internal energy and enthalpy in thermodynamics is not simply a matter of convenience. These variables have different physical meanings and are used to describe different aspects of a system. Choosing the incorrect variable can result in inaccurate calculations and a misunderstanding of the thermodynamic behavior of a system.