Thermodynamics Tables for Reference

In summary: JANAF Thermochemical Tables; International Critical Tables.You can find a lot of this information, particularly steam tables, already on the web. I wouldn't buy a paper book unless you needed to stuff something else in your backpack.Standards organizations, like the NIST, publish these tables which can be downloaded.Thank you very much for your messages. Despite the fact I am an old school person, so I prefer to read from a book more than from a computer, I found the JANAF Thermochemical Tables really expensive for my budget ($ 400 or higher)... so, I will follow your suggestion, SteamKing, and I will use the NIST tables.When I was in college, the required texts for
SuperDaniel
Does anyone know of a thermodynamics tables for reference to recommend me?... It would be preferable in metric system or in both, british and metric. I searched in the past posts and, I didn't find information about this issue.

I found this tables on Amazon, but I prefer to hear from your advice:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521386934/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I lost the one I had, don't know where.

Thank you in advance

Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
JANAF Tables; International Critical Tables.

Likes SuperDaniel
You can find a lot of this information, particularly steam tables, already on the web. I wouldn't buy a paper book unless you needed to stuff something else in your backpack.
Standards organizations, like the NIST, publish these tables which can be downloaded.

Likes SuperDaniel
Thank you very much for your messages. Despite the fact I am an old school person, so I prefer to read from a book more than from a computer, I found the JANAF Thermochemical Tables really expensive for my budget ($ 400 or higher)... so, I will follow your suggestion, SteamKing, and I will use the NIST tables.

I assume the older editions (more affordable) of this book are out dated.

Thank you again

SuperDaniel said:
Thank you very much for your messages. Despite the fact I am an old school person, so I prefer to read from a book more than from a computer, I found the JANAF Thermochemical Tables really expensive for my budget ($ 400 or higher)... so, I will follow your suggestion, SteamKing, and I will use the NIST tables.

I assume the older editions (more affordable) of this book are out dated.

Thank you again
Well, steam is steam and R-12 is R-12. The thermo properties of each substance should be the same for engineering purposes, regardless of the age of the work.

When I was in college, the required texts for my marine engineering courses included the 1967 edition of the ASME Steam Tables (which was a pretty sizable hardcover tome) and the 1944 edition of the Keenan-Keyes steam tables (all in chart form), which was a very slender book. I believe the ASME work included a folded Mollier chart for steam which I used to plot steam turbine state lines.

There is a whole international organization called the IAPWS which develops various formulations to calculate the properties of water which are tabulated in the steam tables. Organizations like NIST and ASME work with the IAPWS to make sure all their data line up with the latest formulations. Since a lot of calculations requiring thermo properties of water are done on computer nowadays, there is a need to use for formulas which can be evaluated, given inputs like pressure and temperature, and have a routine calculate enthalpy and entropy and what not.

Likes SuperDaniel
Thank you very much for your valuable information. By the way, I downloaded the JANAF tables from the NIST website, as you indicated.
Thank you again.
Daniel

Related to Thermodynamics Tables for Reference

1. What is a thermodynamics table?

A thermodynamics table is a reference tool that displays a set of numerical data related to the properties of substances at different temperatures and pressures. These tables are used in thermodynamics to calculate various thermodynamic properties such as enthalpy, entropy, and specific heat.

2. What information can be found in a thermodynamics table?

A thermodynamics table typically includes values for specific heat, enthalpy, entropy, and other thermodynamic properties. These values are given for different substances at various temperatures and pressures.

3. How are thermodynamics tables used?

Thermodynamics tables are used to calculate thermodynamic properties of substances in various processes. They can also be used to compare different substances and determine which one is more suitable for a particular application based on its thermodynamic properties.

4. Are there different types of thermodynamics tables?

Yes, there are different types of thermodynamics tables, such as steam tables, refrigerant tables, and combustion tables. These tables contain specific data for different substances and are used for different purposes.

5. Why are thermodynamics tables important for scientists?

Thermodynamics tables are important for scientists as they provide a quick and reliable source of information for calculating thermodynamic properties. They are also useful for predicting the behavior of substances under different conditions and for designing efficient systems and processes.