Thermodynamics question: temperature between layers

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving calculating the outside temperature of feathers given an air temperature and the total heat transfer coefficient. The solution requires understanding of thermal circuits and surface heat transfer coefficients. The individual seeking help is unfamiliar with potential dividers and is struggling to sketch the thermal circuit.
Adam Rabe

Homework Statement

penguin heat loss question.PNG

Homework Equations

h = k/d
1/h (total) = 1/h + 1/h + 1/h... + 1/h (surf)
Q/t = h A T

The Attempt at a Solution

For the thermodynamic one i got up to calculating the total heat transfer coeffecient but i don't know where to go from there as its asking for the outside temperature of the feathers, whilst giving an air temperature (-15 degrees).

Help would be greatly appreciated ~ Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you sketch the thermal "circuit" showing the temperature points and thermal resistance between each? Think ratios or "potential divider" if familiar with electronics.

CWatters said:
Could you sketch the thermal "circuit" showing the temperature points and thermal resistance between each? Think ratios or "potential divider" if familiar with electronics.
Hello i tried sketching the circuit but i just can't seem to get it. Is there some sort of 3rd layer between the feathers and air? If so how would i go about finding the temperature of it? Also I am not familiar with potential dividers

Look up "surface heat transfer coefficient". The "third layer" as you called it is the surface of the feathers.

Last edited:

Related to Thermodynamics question: temperature between layers

1. What is the difference between temperature and heat?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance, while heat is the transfer of energy from a higher temperature object to a lower temperature object.

2. How does temperature change between layers in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, temperature changes between layers due to the transfer of heat from one layer to another. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

3. Can temperature be the same between layers in thermodynamics?

No, temperature cannot be the same between layers in thermodynamics. This is because heat naturally flows from a higher temperature object to a lower temperature object, causing a difference in temperature between layers.

4. How is temperature measured in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, temperature is typically measured using a thermometer or a thermocouple. These devices measure the expansion or contraction of a substance, such as mercury or a metal wire, to determine the temperature.

5. What is the significance of temperature between layers in thermodynamics?

The temperature between layers in thermodynamics is important because it affects the direction and rate of heat transfer. It also plays a crucial role in determining the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as entropy and internal energy.