Thermodynamics: proof about free expansion

In summary: However, I'm not sure they are necessary for this problem. In summary, for a free expansion, the equality \left( \frac{\partial T}{\partial V} \right) _{U} = - \frac{1}{C_{V}} \left[ T \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T} \right)_{V} - P \right] holds, and to solve this problem, you can use the identity \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_z \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}\right)_x \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_y=-1 and the maxwell relation \left( \
A_B

Homework Statement

prove that for a free expansion the following equality holds:

[tex]\left( \frac{\partial T}{\partial V} \right) _{U} = - \frac{1}{C_{V}} \left[ T \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T} \right)_{V} - P \right][/tex]

Homework Equations

thermodynamic potentials, maxwell equations etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried playing around with the equations a little, but didn't get anywhere. I thought that [itex] \left( \frac{\partial T}{\partial V} \right)_{U} [/itex] should be zero, because if the energy remains constant, so should the temperature.

Physics news on Phys.org
A_B said:
I thought that [itex] \left( \frac{\partial T}{\partial V} \right)_{U} [/itex] should be zero, because if the energy remains constant, so should the temperature.

Only for an ideal gas.

A good start to this problem would be to use the identity

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_z \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}\right)_x \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_y=-1[/tex]

and get that constant U constraint out of there.

OK, this is what I got so far:

[tex]
\begin{align*}

\left( \frac{\partial T}{\partial V} \right)_{U} &= \left[ \left( \frac{\partial T}{\partial V} \right)_{U}
\left( \frac{\partial V}{\partial U} \right)_{T} \left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_{V} \right] / \left[ \left( \frac{\partial V}{\partial U} \right)_{T} \left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_{V} \right]

\\ &= -1 / \left[ \left( \frac{\partial V}{\partial U} \right)_{T} C_{V} \right]

\\ &= - \frac{1}{C_{V}} \left[ \frac{1}{ \left( \frac{\partial V}{\partial U} \right)_{T}} \right]

\end{align*}
[/tex]

am I on the right track?

ok, i finished the problem, it continues:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
&= - \frac{1}{C_{V}} \left[ \frac{1}{ \left( \frac{\partial V}{\partial U} \right)_{T}} \right]
\\ &= - \frac{1}{C_{V}} \left[ \left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial V} \right)_{T}\right]
\\ &= - \frac{1}{C_{V}} \left[ \left( \frac{ \partial Q}{\partial V} \right)_{T} + \left( \frac{ \partial W}{\partial V} \right)_{T} \right]
\\ &= - \frac{1}{C_{V}} \left[ T \left( \frac{ \partial S}{\partial V}\right)_{T} - P \left( \frac{ \partial V}{\partial V} \right)_{T} \right]
\\ &= - \frac{1}{C_{V}} \left[ T \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial V} \right)_{T} - P \right]
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Finally, using the maxwell relation [itex] \left( \frac{ \partial P}{\partial T} \right)_{V} = \left( \frac{ \partial S}{\partial V} \right)_{T} [/itex] we obtain the desired relation:

[tex]
\left( \frac{\partial T}{\partial V} \right) _{U} = - \frac{1}{C_{V}} \left[ T \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T} \right)_{V} - P \right]
[/tex]

The things I'm still having some trouble with is first of all the identity
[tex]
\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_z \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}\right)_x \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_y=-1
[/tex]
Any reference about this?

Also , it seems very plausible that
[tex]
\frac{1}{ \left( \frac{\partial V}{\partial U} \right)_{T}} = \frac{\partial U}{\partial V} \right)_{T}
[/tex]
But I'm not 100% sure why this works.

These are both calculus questions i suppose, so they're in the wrong place here.

Thanks

Alex

These are definitely useful identities when manipulating partial derivatives. They're called the triple product rule and the inverse function rule, respectively, if you want to search for more information.

Related to Thermodynamics: proof about free expansion

1. What is thermodynamics and how does it relate to free expansion?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat and other forms of energy. Free expansion is a process in thermodynamics where a gas expands into a vacuum without any external work being done. This process is important in understanding the behavior of gases and their properties.

2. What is the proof of free expansion in thermodynamics?

The proof of free expansion in thermodynamics is based on the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. During free expansion, the gas does not do any work and there is no change in internal energy. Therefore, the change in internal energy is equal to zero, which proves that free expansion is possible.

3. How does the second law of thermodynamics apply to free expansion?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. In the case of free expansion, the gas moves from a confined space to a larger, less confined space. This results in an increase in the total volume and a decrease in the density of the gas, leading to an increase in entropy.

4. Can free expansion be reversed in thermodynamics?

No, free expansion cannot be reversed in thermodynamics. This is because free expansion is an irreversible process and it is impossible to return the gas to its original state without doing external work. This is due to the fact that the gas expands into a vacuum and there is no opposing force to compress it back to its initial state.

5. What are some real-life examples of free expansion in thermodynamics?

Some examples of free expansion in everyday life include the release of compressed air from a tire, the expansion of a balloon after being inflated, and the release of gases from a burst pipe. These processes all involve a gas expanding into a larger space without any external work being done.