Thermodynamics problem, Enthelpy zero for an ideal gas

In summary, the student is trying to solve the homework equation for dH, but is having difficulty. He is trying to use the equation for dA, but that does not work. He is then told that the equation should be written with respect to P instead of V, and is given a way to solve the equation.
gibbsboson

Homework Statement

Show that

[itex]\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_{T} = 0 [/itex]

for an ideal gas

Homework Equations

The question required me to first solve

[itex]\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_{P}[/itex] [itex] = C_{P}[/itex] - [itex]P\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_{P}[/itex]

but I am unsure if I would use this for the rest of the question

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already shown that [itex]\left(\frac{\partial C_{V}}{\partial V}\right)_{T} = 0 [/itex] for an ideal gas but I am struggling to manage this one. I can show it is zero when I have this equation to begin with
[itex]dH = \left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_{V}dT[/itex] + [itex]\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_{T}dV[/itex]
But I am unsure how to get to this point in the first place, so any help here would be excellent.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gibbsboson. Welcome to Physics Forums.

I think that the equation you are trying to show is written incorrectly. It should read the partial with respect to P.

Have you learned the general equation for dH in terms of dT and dP for a pure species? If so, what is it?

Chet

Hi Chestermiller

Sorry it should be [itex]\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial V}\right)_{T} = 0 [/itex]

I don't think I have learned that equation. The only other equation involving enthalpy is H = U + PV. Or I also have dH = TdS + VdP, but I don't think I can use entropy here.

A point in the right direction would be brilliant because I have been struggling with this for a while now

Thanks in advance,

GB

gibbsboson said:
Hi Chestermiller

Sorry it should be [itex]\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial V}\right)_{T} = 0 [/itex]

I don't think I have learned that equation. The only other equation involving enthalpy is H = U + PV. Or I also have dH = TdS + VdP, but I don't think I can use entropy here.

A point in the right direction would be brilliant because I have been struggling with this for a while now

Thanks in advance,

GB

Start out with dH = TdS + VdP, and take the partial of this equation with respect to V at constant T. This will give you a term involving the partial of S with respect to V at constant T. The Maxwell relationship you need to evaluate this derives from the equation for dA.

Give it a shot.

Chet

Sorry for being a little slow. I end up with

[itex]\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial V}\right)_{T} = T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_{V} + V\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial V}\right)_{T}[/itex]

and I see no way of getting rid of this. When I substitute the ideal gas formula this doesn't cancel. Where should I go from here?

Thanks

GB

gibbsboson said:
Sorry for being a little slow. I end up with

[itex]\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial V}\right)_{T} = T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_{V} + V\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial V}\right)_{T}[/itex]

and I see no way of getting rid of this. When I substitute the ideal gas formula this doesn't cancel. Where should I go from here?

Thanks

GB

That's funny. When I substitute the ideal gas formula into this equation, it cancels for me. Please check your "arithmetic."

Chet

Likes 1 person
Apologies, I was being stupid. Got it now.

Thanks for your help

GB

Related to Thermodynamics problem, Enthelpy zero for an ideal gas

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and energy in relation to work, temperature, and entropy. It explains how energy is transferred and transformed in physical systems.

What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of particles that have negligible volume and do not interact with each other, except during collisions. It follows the gas laws, such as Boyle's law and Charles's law, under all conditions.

What is enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that represents the total internal energy of a system, including the energy required to create the system's pressure and volume.

What does it mean for an ideal gas to have an enthalpy of zero?

For an ideal gas, an enthalpy of zero means that there is no heat transfer between the system and its surroundings. In other words, the energy of the gas is only in the form of its internal energy, and there is no exchange of heat with the environment.

How does enthalpy zero for an ideal gas affect its behavior?

Having an enthalpy of zero means that an ideal gas does not experience any temperature changes or phase changes due to the absence of heat transfer. Additionally, it follows the ideal gas law, which describes its behavior in terms of pressure, volume, and temperature.