Thermodynamics piston problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cylindrical container with two compartments filled with different gases at different pressures. The container is submerged in water and the system is initially at a uniform temperature. The goal is to determine the new temperature of the water, the new position of the piston, and the change in total entropy of the system when the piston is released. The conversation suggests using the first law of thermodynamics and the ideal gas equation to solve for the final temperatures of the gases and the water. It also mentions the irreversibility of the expansion process and suggests considering a reversible process to calculate the change in entropy.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
A cylindrical container 80 cm long is separated in two compartments by a thin piston, originally held 30cm away from the left side of the piston. The left compartment is filled with 1 mol of an helium gaz at a pressure of 5 atm; the right compartment is filled with Argon at a pressure of 1 atm. The gaz can be considered as ideal. The cylinder is submerged in 1 litre of water (thermal contact) and the system is initially at a uniform temperature of 298 K. The calorific capacities of the cylinder and the piston can be neglected. When the piston is set free, a new equilibrium condition is ultimately attained with the piston in a new position.

a) What is the new water temperature?

b) What is the new position of the piston?

c) What is the change in the total entropy of the system?

I can do b). I know how to do c) knowing a), but how do I do a)? All I know is that at equilibrium, the temperature of both gazes and of the water will be the same.

As the piston moves, work is done by the He gaz and on the Ar one, so their energy will change, which will lead of a change in their temperature, which will lead to an exchange of heat btw the 3 mediums. But this interaction is too complex for me to "monitor". How do I proceed?

Thanx!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
help?-----

One way to solve this is to ask, what is changing, when the He at 5 atm is doing work on the 1 atm of Ar. How does the enthalpy of each gas change? Can one determine an equation for the enthalpy of the gases and water at equilibrium. Whatever energy is transferred from the He must go to the Ar and H2O.

[itex]\Delta H = mc_P\Delta T[/itex].

We have not yet encountered the notion of enthalpy. Do you have another idea or can you reformula that idea without the notion of enthalpy?

Has your class covered polytropic processes?

Yes, but I'm curious to see how that applies here, since neither T, p or V are held constant.

Have you tried taking the system as both the gases? Here's how I think you can approach this.
  • The net expansion work will be 0(?) and you'll only have to equate the change in internal energy to the heat exchange (by the first law).
  • Since the gases are ideal, the internal energy change will be functions of temp only. So, if you know the final temp of each gas, you'll be able to calculate the temp of water.
  • To find the final temp of each gas, you can use the ideal gas equation. The values of [itex] P_i , V_i , Y_i [/itex] are given in the problem. If you solve for part (b), you can find the value of [itex] V_f[/itex]. You need to calculate the value of [itex]P_f[/itex] and [itex]T_f[/itex]
  • Because everything is in equilibirium finally, the zeroth law says the temperatures must be same everywhere. So, you'll have 2 equations to calculate [itex]T_f , P_f [/itex]. (One ideal gas equation for each substance)
I also think the expansion in this case is irreverisble. So, the equation of the process can't be plotted.

To calculate the change in entropy, consider a reversible process between the inital and final states for each substance.

Last edited:
I solved it, but thanks. Here's a brief outline of the solution:

The whole system is isolated, so [itex]\Delta E=0[/itex]. Aditionally, since all 3 sub-systems start at the same temperature and end at the same temperature, the variation in their respective temperature will be the same. No work can be done on the water, so it's varitation in energy is purely a result of heat flow: [itex]\Delta E_{H_2O}=Q_{H_2O}[/itex]. For the two ideal monoatomic gases, the energy is linked directly to the temperature by [itex]\Delta E=\frac{3}{2}\nu R\Delta T[/itex]. Putting all this in the energy conservation law gives [itex]Q_{H_2O}=-\frac{3}{2}R(\nu_{He}+\nu_{Ar})\Delta T[/itex]. This equation is in contradiction with the law of heat flow as soon as [itex]\Delta T \neq 0[/itex], because remember that [itex]\Delta T = \Delta T_{H_2O}[/itex]. For instance, suppose that [itex]\Delta T_{H_2O}<0[/itex]. Then [itex]Q_{H_2O}>0[/itex] which means that the water absorbed heat. But heat flows from the hotest substance to the coolest until they are both at the same temperature, so heat absorbed cannot be positive and variation in temp. negative. So [itex]\Delta T = 0[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to Thermodynamics piston problem

1. What is the purpose of a piston in a thermodynamics problem?

The piston is a key component in thermodynamics problems as it represents a movable boundary that can change the volume of a system. It allows for the study of how changes in volume affect the pressure, temperature, and energy of a system.

2. How do you determine the work done by a piston in a thermodynamics problem?

The work done by a piston can be calculated by multiplying the force exerted by the piston by the distance it moves. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. In a thermodynamics problem, how does the temperature of a gas inside a piston change when the piston expands?

According to the ideal gas law, when a gas expands without gaining or losing heat, its temperature decreases. This is because the volume and pressure are inversely proportional, so as the volume increases, the pressure decreases, causing a decrease in temperature.

4. What is the difference between an adiabatic and isothermal process in a thermodynamics problem?

An adiabatic process is one in which there is no heat exchange between the system and its surroundings, while an isothermal process is one in which the temperature remains constant. In an adiabatic process, the work done by the system is used to change the internal energy, while in an isothermal process, the work done is equal to the heat exchange.

5. How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to a piston problem?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In a piston problem, this means that the change in internal energy of the gas inside the piston is equal to the heat added to or removed from the system, plus the work done by or on the system.