Thermodynamics - internal energy change question

In summary: OUNT OF HEAT ENTERING THE GAS IS:dQ=nCpdTWe just express dW in terms of the temperature change dT is dW=pdV=nRdT.Therefore,first law,dQ=dU+dW => nCpdT=dU+nRdT.AMOUNT OF HEAT LEAVING THE GAS IS:dW=0Therefore, first law: dQ=dU+dW => dQ=dU=nCvdT.Is same(deltaU= integral(CvdT)).
chriswilson

Homework Statement

Assume ideal gas conditions. Cp=(7/2)R, Cv=(5/2)R

15 moles of airis contained in a cylinder and prevented from escaping by a frictionless piston
initial conditions are 1.5 bar, gas volume 0.2m^3

final conditions required are 10 bar t 27 degrees celsius

calculate the internal energy change and associated heat, Q, and work W, for
i) constant pressure process, followed by constant volume process
ii) constant volume process followed by constant pressure process

Homework Equations

the ideal gas law pV=nRT i assume can be used to find the temperature at the initial temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution

once I've found deltaU i think I could work out the heat and work but I really don't know how to get started. my textbook gives equations of

deltaU= integral(CvdT) however I'm not really sure how to use this.

sorry if its not too clear I hope you can understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org
chriswilson said:

Homework Statement

15 moles of airis contained in a cylinder and prevented from escaping by a frictionless piston

Homework Equations

the ideal gas law pV=nRT i assume can be used to find the temperature at the initial temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution

once I've found deltaU i think I could work out the heat and work but I really don't know how to get started. my textbook gives equations of

deltaU= integral(CvdT) however I'm not really sure how to use this.

sorry if its not too clear I hope you can understand it.

I don't know these for you is useful or not ?

(1)For constant pressure process :Amount of heat entering the gas is dQ=nCpdT;We just express dW in terms of the temperature change dT is dW=pdV=nRdT.Therefore,first law,dQ=dU+dW => nCpdT=dU+nRdT.

(2)For constant volume process: The pressure increases during this process, but the gas does not work (dW=0) because the volume is constant. Therefore, first law: dQ=dU+dW => dQ=dU=nCvdT.Is same(deltaU= integral(CvdT)).

Here i should inform you that what i wrote was no going details. So, you should read more out from the books.:smile:

chriswilson said:

Homework Statement

1. find the initial temperature.

2. find the final volume. Is the process from initial to final condition a compression or expansion?

3. draw PV diagram and plot the beginning and end points.

4. i) from the initial point, draw a constant pressure path followed by a constant volume path to reach the end point.

4 ii) from the initial point, draw a constant volume path followed by a constant pressure path to reach the end point.

5. use Cp and Cv to determine the Q for each part of the path and apply the first law to determine the change in internal energy and work done.

AM

Related to Thermodynamics - internal energy change question

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of the relationship between heat, energy, and work, and how they affect the behavior of matter.

What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy contained within a system, including the kinetic energy of its particles and the potential energy stored in the bonds between them.

How does internal energy change?

Internal energy can change through the transfer of heat or work into or out of a system. It can also change due to chemical reactions or phase changes.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

What is the difference between heat and work in thermodynamics?

Heat and work are both forms of energy transfer, but heat is the transfer of thermal energy due to a temperature difference, while work is the transfer of energy due to a force acting over a distance.