Thermodynamics -- hydrostatics question

In summary, the problem discussed here is about finding the mass of an ideal diatomic gas at a certain height in the atmosphere, given the initial state at a different height. The effects of pressure variation with height are due to the hydrostatic factor (dp/dz =(rho)g). The problem is solved for two different cases: (i) assuming an adiabatic process, where the variation of temperature with height is noted, and (ii) when the gas entropy increases proportionally to height (ds = (alpha)dz). To solve this, the connection between entropy and P/rho is used, along with the ideal gas equation dq/ds = (P * m) / (rho * k). By eliminating P,
nataliarodri
Poster has been reminded that they need to use the Homework Help Template, and show their efforts on their schoolwork
Good afternoon. You are a student of the career of physical I am 'm like someone aids with the second section (II) the following problem because I do not understand much.

Thank you very much.
Problem:
Considering that the effects of pressure variation with height are due only factor hydrostatic (dp/dz =(rho)g)), say what is the end of a mass of an ideal gas diatomic when quasiestàticament up the atmosphere from an initial state? (Z1, T1, p1 )up to a certain height Z2. Do the calculation for two different cases:
(i) assuming that the process is adiabatic (check in this case what value it has, itself, the variation of temperature with height);
(ii) in the case where the gas entropy wins in proportion to the height trail, ds = (alpha)dz.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use ds = alpha dz to get P as a function of rho, and then just solve for the differential equation in rho(z). It will help that the ideal gas connection between entropy and P/rho is dq/ds = (P * m) / (rho * k), right? Here dq is the heat added, so dq = du - P*m/rho2 drho, and u=5/2 * P * m / (rho * k) for a diatomic gas. Notice that I've avoided using T anywhere, as it plays no explicit role and is just being substituted away. The goal is to get one differential equation that gives you dP/drho as a function of P and rho, and another that gives you dP/dz as a function of rho, and eliminate P. You can always set alpha=0 at the end to get part (i).

Related to Thermodynamics -- hydrostatics question

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of energy and its transformation in physical and chemical systems.

What is hydrostatics?

Hydrostatics is the study of fluids at rest and the forces acting on them, such as pressure and buoyancy.

What is the relationship between thermodynamics and hydrostatics?

Thermodynamics and hydrostatics are both branches of physics that deal with the behavior of fluids. Thermodynamics focuses on the energy and heat transfer, while hydrostatics focuses on the forces and pressure within a fluid.

How do thermodynamics and hydrostatics apply to real-world situations?

Thermodynamics and hydrostatics are applied in a wide range of fields, such as engineering, meteorology, and chemistry. They help us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various systems and processes.

What are some key principles of thermodynamics and hydrostatics?

Some key principles of thermodynamics include the laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In hydrostatics, key principles include Pascal's law, which states that pressure is transmitted equally in all directions within a fluid, and Archimedes' principle, which explains buoyancy and the relationship between an object's volume and its weight in a fluid.